PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Sounds to me ...like someone "needs" to send Harris another rack to fill. bbbwaaaahhahahahahahahahahahaha
;)
Sincerely

Michael J. Glukler

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
PAD is an interesting problem. I'm way more educated than I used to be about buying pipes, but I still buy on a whim or because I see a pipe I've been wanting in a certain style. I just picked up a Petersons Spigot that needs some TLC.
I have a few birthyear pipes, mainly Dunhills, but one is a Kaywoodie Belge Meerschaum (1938) whjch is my late fathers birthyear and a 1943 Dunhill (my mom). 1938 pipes are the ones that trip my auto-buy trigger. Full blown PAD.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have about eighty, but i'm afraid to count for sure. I'd say at least twenty of those are gifts, most from my wife, some from friends, and one from a Forums member, so I have a'plenty. I enjoy smoking them all. None do I avoid or skip in rotation. I enjoy all sizes, brands, shapes, finishes, factory and artisanal, certainly prices. I don't want to hit the place where there are so many, I am storing some rather than smoke them.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I get very obsessive about buying a pipe when I see one that appeals. But I wait, and wait. As said above, often the obsession will end in a day or two, but if I still want it, I continue to wait, reading the listing over and over. At this point I've waited about 5 days, and then I wait some more. If I can afford it, I may buy then, but not until I've checked current money against savings, and weighed that against expenses in the next few months. I confess that even though the money says no, if I still want it, I may buy. But I almost never spend above $300.00, and usually not above $200.00. My sweet spot is between $100.00 and $200.00. I fear artisan pipes are not for me in this lifetime.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Salt, keep your eyes open for estate Brian Ruthenbeg sandblasted pipes. I have 9 of them and never paid more than 225.00 for an estate. I think his pipes smoke as good as any of my other 40 or so No American artisan pipes. They can be a bit boring to some shape wise, but I happen to like boring. I have 3 Apples, 1 Brandy and the rest Billiards. His blasts are usually very well done and his pipes smoke as cool and dry as anything in my collection. His stem work is also very well done and he only uses high quality German vulcanite that doesn't oxidize.
I would also recommend Rad Davis estates but his prices seem to be over 250.00 in most cases. Once in a while you might get lucky with one in the 200.00 range.

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
I say give in to PAD! Assuming that you have the means.
I believe that there are 3 very simple rules to happiness.
1. Have a job that you enjoy going to, or you will quit showing up.

2. Have someone at home that you enjoy going home to, or you will just stay at work.

3. Have a hobby to wind down with when the bad days come, because they will.
If pipes are that hobby, so be it!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
mahew, now that's some straight up thinking!

harris, will do! smokingpipes has a Ruthenburg smooth stack estate for about $425.00 that I adore, but that's not going to happen.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
believe that there are 3 very simple rules to happiness.
1. Have a job that you enjoy going to, or you will quit showing up.

2. Have someone at home that you enjoy going home to, or you will just stay at work.
What if you don't like your job or your spouse? You just drive around the block forever smoking your pipe. :lol:

Reactions: J.Henry845

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
You should note that I never said “spouse”, lol. Driving around the block smoking a pipe does include two of my hobbies, so I am in!
14d28d36-63b4-4618-bb18-b4ed37f2a1b4-600x450.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
harris, take a look at this one:
https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/england/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=263856
I love it, for me, very elegant. I called about it today and was told that the price reflects its collectability. I replied that the only way I would collect it was with a $75.00 price reduction. The call was amicable, but this one too seems priced for 5% of the pipe smokers who wouldn't mind being taken, I guess for their collection. The beaners that priced it need a reality adjustment.
Overall I expect to pay $20 or $30 more for pipes from the, but in return I get great pictures, specs, a large inventory, no questions asked returns and fabulous customer service. They take your calls and are at least willing to have an intelligent conversation. Someone answers when you call who gives a shit. That's worth money to me.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've not yet topped $100 per unit with my PAD attacks.
I have about 10 in rotation and another 15 in reserve.
I may eventually pursue a particular shape or size, or slowly add when great deals surface, but I feel I have the essential tools for my enjoyment.
Right now, it's about cellar construction for me.
jay-roger.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I had no idea that people collected Parker pipes. I thought they were Dunhill seconds? It is a nice looking classic but I agree way too much money. You can buy an estate Dunhill for that.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
PAD doesn't have to be a bad thing. I have a good friend who collects and flips custom pool cues. He has built his own private collection worth over $150K from the profits of those efforts. He's taken the time to know the majority of the cue makers of any consequence. He has sold for many of them based on consignment. He attends the major shows and often has his own booth. Thanks to his tutelage, I have my own modest collection of 7 nice custom cures with a value of over $17,500. I'm confident if I had 3 to 6 months to sell them, I'd recover every penny I've invested plus a modest profit.
My friend's basic rules. Know what you're doing, know the market, know the value. Never, never buy based upon emotion, be completely objective. Look for value, find the bargain. Could be someone needing immediate cash and willing to take a loss to get cash. Look to purchase from up and comers whose product are most likely to appreciate as they become more established. Stay away from makers who are throwing out higher volumes at lower prices just to make a living. They'll rarely be able to rise above all the low priced product they've put out on the market. The majority of the higher priced cue makers don't do it for the money. They're already financially stable and do it more as a hobby than a source of income. Those who are also financially well of can afford the nicer equipment. Finally, if you're looking at it as an investment, don't buy factory made products, those almost always go down in price. Factory made products are also sold through distributors who have their markup on the product.
It may take some of the fun out of it but I think these are reasonable rules for pipe collecting as well. The flip side is to just say screw it, buy what you can afford and have fun. Interestingly enough, I think Harris has actually managed, for the most part, to do both. He can easily afford his PAD but he's a smart guy as well and bought wisely.

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
When I want to avoid PAD, I think about the FDA and my cellar, the blends I've never tried and may disappear forever, and then TAD takes over.

It's better to have too much tobacco than too many pipes.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
When I want to avoid PAD I mention possibly buying a pipe to my wife. She then discusses all the other things that I could use that money for that would benefit the kids, the house, my wife, and then the PAD just seems to melt away.

jensen

Can't Leave
Apr 10, 2016
When I was 16 I had 14 good pipes and that would have been enough. Now I am 69 and have about 400 unused in stock and I have

those smoked over the years. All bought unused, it is my pipes. I also have 4 or 5 doz. estates, they are just pipes for me.

This year 5 new has arrived. This morning I was looking at some Blakemars and some Peterson deluxe systems, It never stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.