PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Not sure what you mean.
Peterson of Dublin has three limited edition yearly offerings with Special Reserve, Summertime, and Holiday Season. They did add this year a St. Patrick's Day blend. The Special Reserve and Summertime typically come out around July-ish. Holiday Season comes out some time between September and November usually.
McClelland has Christmas Cheer and Holiday Spirit which I believe usually come out some time around October-ish.
I think W.O. Larsen does yearly offerings too, but as I don't follow that brand much I have no idea when they come out.
Kolhhase & Kopp just put out a Winter blend back in December I think and a limited edition 2015 blend back in January or February.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
What's important to know is there are thousands of readily available blends that are commonly in stock. Some small blending houses in the British Isles have limited output and do nothing to increase the volume released each year. The Internet has hyped many of these and therefore caused a demand that outweighs the supply. There's excellent tobaccos to be had easily and Inexpensively. If you really must have a tin of brand x, then you'll have to play the waiting game and snipe the eBay auction listings as they pop up. Welcome aboard by the way! What do you like to smoke?
There are some seasonal releases as stated above but those rarely sell out quickly.

mdre0b

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
I wasn't really asking about special editions. At least I don't think I was. I guess an example would be trying to purchase smokers haven krumble kake and it's temporarily unavailable. Is there a regular release date for new batches, or is it random by blend? Is everyone hunched over their keyboards the day a new batch of Penzance is released or is it random?

mdre0b

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
I'm new to pipe smoking so I've been trying different blends. Mainly aromatics and OTC brands so far. I'm curious about several brands but am hesitant to pull the trigger on more expensive brands. I've got some PS luxury bullseye flake and some villiger 1888 arriving Wednesday.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
There's not a whole lot of blends like Penzance that you have to order from your phone the second the email notice it's available comes through otherwise you won't get it. The Esoterica blends are done in small batches with old school techniques. They only produce a set number of tins/pouches each year. With that set production and the increase in the hobby that's what's made them very difficult to find.
As for the Smoker Haven's Krumble Kake if it's a house blend then I would have no idea when they make up a new batch. You'd have to contact them.
You won't have trouble finding McClelland, GL Pease, Peterson, Mac Baren (except the recent discontinues that are listed on their site), Cornell and Diehl, Lane Limited, Peter Stokkebye, Sutliff, Hearth & Home etc. .

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
A lot of good reviews of luxury bullseye flake. I personally felt it was a little harsh so I have it sitting jarred and will try it again later down the road to see if it mellowed at all.
As for more expensive blends I was in a similar camp for a while. I wanted to find bulk options to match more expensive blends I liked. I later realized that I usually only smoked a pipe a day so a tin of the "good" stuff lasted close to 2 weeks(if I were to smoke it every day). Ultimately I changed camps as life is short and the dollar or so an ounce difference I can make up in other areas of my budget.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
The Smoker's Haven Blends are made by Germains, same as the Esoterica's...... They are both made in small batches, sell out QUICK, and are hard to come by. Krumble Kake is harder to find than Penzance.

Welcome to the fray! You'll like it here! :D

As the others have stated-- LoTs of good blends out there. I'm particularly fond of GL Peases's blends....they are classics IMO. Try some Dunhills too, MM965, Nightcap, EMP......all great!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Mdre0b,
You asked if there are people hunched over their keyboards trying to buy blends like Penzance? The answer is YES. It's the classic phenomenon of people attempting to obtain the unobtainable. There was a time not all that long ago when you could walk into a shop or pick up the phone and get almost any quantity of the Germain blends and it was priced right in line with most other tinned pipe tobaccos. You also mentioned Krumble Kake, try some GL Pease Gaslight or C&D Pirate Kake, not the same but in the same genre and very good in their own right as well as being available.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I wasn't really asking about special editions. At least I don't think I was. I guess an example would be trying to purchase smokers haven krumble kake and it's temporarily unavailable. Is there a regular release date for new batches, or is it random by blend? Is everyone hunched over their keyboards the day a new batch of Penzance is released or is it random?
With regard to Krumble Kake, a recent thread left me with the impression that it would be "temporarily unavailable" forever.
Penzance is released approximately twice a year except when it's not, generally when there's a full moon that coincides with with a solar eclipse at the point when all of the solar system lines up.
People have been found molecularly bonded to their chairs from waiting for the announcement that a new shipment has been released.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Haha good old Germaine's they are nice folks but are only a group of five people that blend tobacco. That being said whatever products they put out are all good in their own right. Sadly it is true everyone awaits for that moment they become available thus making it hard to find most of thier blends. But there are so many great blends out there it just depends what you like? Right now I would jump on pipes and cigars and get a 2oz tin of Mississippi River very good stuff and is back ordered frequently. Blends you can count on are pirate kake really fantastic, Samuel gawith squadron leader and commonwealth are great English blends. What do you like to smoke is the biggest question and I'm sure everyone on this forum will give you suggestions. Welcome aboard and enjoy your time here a wealth of knowledge on this forum and really great people.

mdre0b

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
Are the Seattle Pipe Club blends typically in this same category? I have been seeing a lot of information on them online but the blends mentioned aren't available.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most of the current blends are continuously available, but at any given time there are I'd guess twenty or thirty that are intermittently out of stock because of buzz and popularity or in a few cases because they are under-produced or under-imported. But many popular blends are available all the time from all the online retailers, or most of them. If I name an example, it will immediately go scarce, just by coincidence. But I doubt we'll see a shortage of Dunhill My Mixture 965, currently available in bulk and in tins, any time soon. Or Nightcap. Or Cornell & Diehl's ten best sellers, or GL Pease's. I think the internet especially causes runs on particular blends. I think most of the McClelland, Mac Baren, Orlik, and Peterson blends will hold steady, at least the top ten or fifteen sellers for each brand. Some of the old over-the-counter brands have been continuously available for a century or more, like Prince Albert, Half and Half, Granger, and Carter Hall.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I don't think the Seattle pipe club blends fall into the ultra rare but right now due to popularity Mississippi River and plum pudding tins have been back ordered. I do believe you can get it no problem from

http://www.tinderboxwa.com/?id=38608&catalog=1

mdre0b

Lurker
Mar 16, 2015
Orlik Golden Sliced and Dunhill 965 were two of the brands I've considered but was hesitant due to price. Are they really that much better than bulk blends? I can't justify the cost of any of the Esoterica blends on my tobacco budget, but would like to try an ounce or two of a pricier blend just to see the difference.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Orlik Golden sliced is a very popular Virginia and is considered one of the more forgiving blends in that family. Plenty of very fine blends are available in bulk. A bulk blend isn't necessarily of lesser quality. A good way to get some experience with various blends is to go to your nearest B&M and buy some small quantities of their various offerings to try out. That's how I got started. There are a lot of smokers who never buy tinned tobacco, but enjoy various bulk blends with perfect contentment.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I recommend that you search ALL of the tobacco sellers that sponsor this site, and do it often. They sometimes have one day specials, and most have sales very often. While you're there sign up for their email list as they will let you know about sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.