PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

panny

Lurker
Feb 8, 2019
Hey there everyone.
Are there any aussie pipe smokers here? Just wondering where everyone buy's there tobacco from. I live close to cignall in frankston which has a great range of tobacco but due to our bs tax laws the $92 a tin is way too steep for me. I tried ordering through 4noggins but unfortunately it looks like customs has nabbed it since I haven't got an update since the 30th of jan.
I've really been enjoying this hobby I like the way it forces you to slow down and think or u end up burning too hot and losing all flavour. I kinda see it as a form of mindfulness haha
So if there is any aussies out there that know any ways to get affordable tobacco I would love to know.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Panny, welcome to the forums! I had the opportunity to travel to Australia several years ago. We did Sydney, Uluru, Cairns, and Brisbane. Beautiful country you have down there.
Regarding fellow pipers, I think there was a thread about Australian pipe smokers a while back. I think I found it while digging around for the Secret Santa exchange. I'm not sure there are too many though.
$92 a tin? Yikes that makes Canadian prices seem reasonable!

soutso

Lurker
Sep 19, 2018
I bought a 50g tin of Davidoff English mixture in Double Bay, Sydney for $129.00

Yes Australian pricing ... sucks

Panny I'll send you a PM

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't know exactly what the exchange rate is, but those prices per tin are unreal. Under those circumstances, I'd own one pipe and smoke once a month or every two.

panny

Lurker
Feb 8, 2019
My first pipe was half the price of my first tin! All our tins are blank as well we're not even alllowed to enjoy the pretty pictures on the tins lol nanny state is understatement!

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I live in Sydney and yes it is a sad state of affairs here regarding pipe tobacco. A few years back, orders from O/S would be stopped at customs say 50% of the time but now it seems that most orders get stopped (even a single 50g tin) and it gets hit with tobacco duty (more that $950 a kg from memory) then a duty on the cost of postage (10%?) and then when you have that nice total they add another 10% GST tax!
So yes a tin will cost over $100! That Double Bay example is a bit high but here in Sydney that suburb is nicknamed Double Pay because of the many rich folk living there and the retailers charging what the market will bear.
Just try the small order method and keep fingers crossed, sometimes a pouch of tobacco in a padded envelope may attract less attention than a tin in a cardboard box but it really is a roll of the dice.
If you have a friend travelling O/S they can maybe bring back a tin or two?

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Yeah I live in Australia at the moment. I am saying at the moment because I have a good idea of where I will be living soon mainly due to tobacco situation.

panny

Lurker
Feb 8, 2019
I would have thought if it was labeled as lose leaf tea and put in a discrete resealable bag it would have a high % of getting through? Got a friend going there soon so I'll have to give it a try. Will report back if I have any luck.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Stellar idea! Let's go to a public forum and openly discuss ways to package and ship regulated and taxable items in order to avoid duties and taxes !!

Brilliant! A true community service!

:roll:

ozbluesman59

Lurker
Aug 29, 2019
Been smoking pipes for 17 years. A late starter. Never smoked cigarettes. I collect Petersons and have about 50. Mainly deluxe with p-lips. Just received a half a kg of Hobbit's Weed blend from 4noggins. Pm me?

Reactions: Lyle b

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
G'Day Panny
Strictly speaking I'm Irish and not Aussie but I do (currently) live in NSW Northern Beaches (can't say I live in Sydney 'cos we're "7 miles from Sydney and a 1000 miles from care" as the local tourist office used to proclaim...).

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Tobacco prices here are outrageous.

Up until the laws regarding the importation of tobacco changed on July 1st, I'd been ordering through TobaccoPipes [who've been very helpful] Unfortunately they've had Customs leaning on them and have to declare every item.

I haven't had an order intercepted for quite some time [touch wood]
None-the-less, I have received an order from them since for 8oz of PS Bullseye Flake and 2oz of Marble Kake and I've received a 4oz tin of Mississippi River from a private sale since July 1st.
When I first heard of the changes in law I spent every spare dollar ordering tobacco and after a count I have roughly 33lbs in the cellar [I've been saying 40lb but over calculated] including a pound each of blending perique and latakia to mix with homegrown Virginia and burley.
Our best chance of getting tobacco from the U.S. is to buy privately.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Correction ^^^^^^ I found another 6 or so pounds in another cupboard, lol.

Good news on two counts; yes I was correct that I've got around 40lb cellared and that early onset Alzheimers is at bay for the time being [touch wood]

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
$100 for a tin of tobacco? OMG!!!!!

I just paid for 8 oz of Hobbits Weed from 4Noggins and had it sent USPS Priority and it cost me $30 USD.... Any tobacco I do buy here in California costs me double as opposed to ordering from Smoking Pipes, Tobacco Pipes or 4Noggins. I always like to support my local business's, but double???

If it moves, tax it, if it slows down, regulate it, if it slows down further, double tax it... :crazy:
Good luck, am VERY surprised that its so expensive "Down Under"...
Dan

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
Hey there everyone.
Are there any aussie pipe smokers here? Just wondering where everyone buy's there tobacco from. I live close to cignall in frankston which has a great range of tobacco but due to our bs tax laws the $92 a tin is way too steep for me. I tried ordering through 4noggins but unfortunately it looks like customs has nabbed it since I haven't got an update since the 30th of jan.
I've really been enjoying this hobby I like the way it forces you to slow down and think or u end up burning too hot and losing all flavour. I kinda see it as a form of mindfulness haha
So if there is any aussies out there that know any ways to get affordable tobacco I would love to know.
Hey there everyone.
Hey gday Panny nice to hear from fellow aussie puffer not many of us left how you doin are you in tas im in lismore northern rivers nsw yea 4 noggins has bin good to me never order more than 4 tin or 8 oz at a time bin gettin for awhile now and only bin done one time just keep tryin glad to hear from a southern brother .