Attn Newbies - If I Had It To Do Over Again.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
3 Fresh Bill Shalosky Pipes
60 Fresh Neerup Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
Ah I wish I weren't already up too late on a school night* because one month in I've learned a few things that might help others. I'll 2nd 3rdguy's suggestion about starting with a cob because I was pretty disappointed after my first few smokes of what I believe is a pearwood pipe, though it might be lead judging by the weight. I took a half measure in spending £35 ($45-50) on a pipe that was supposedly reduced in price and landed in that pointless no man's land of not having something good enough that it'd be worth it in the long run and yet not being cheap enough to write it off without caring.

The next pipe I got was a cob and I immediately knew it should have been my first - it gave me my first taste of flavour and it was much easier to smoke, for whatever the reason may be. Speaking of first, I've just had my first great smoke from my first briar (I'm amazed at how light they are) and that's something you'll really have to bear in mind—the first smoke was terrible and the second wasn't much different.

Thankfully it was like night and day this time around, having simply smoked to the bottom of the bowl twice and I suppose building that layer of magic cake - whatever it was it made all the difference and so I'd just like to go back a week and tell myself that it gets better.

*figure of speech thought I'd be flattered

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
The more I read on here the more I think I need to add a cob to my collection. They are cheap, and I've read nothing but good things.

Reactions: Elric

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
Yeah I love them. The briar in question has become my favourite (it's just a mid range Duncan brand 'Caldbeck', £30/$45) but while I was staving off buyer's remorse those first two nights, I had a fantastic smoke from the £10/$15 Missouri Meerschaum 'General' cob I bought alongside it

The only drawback to this one is that it's a filter pipe and I don't use filters. Furthermore, it's a 6mm filter pipe (I'm guessing because that's about a ¼ inch because Americans insist on using what our grumpy elders here call "English" measurements) and so I've had to import a converter from the 'States to make it less like p.uffing on a didgeridoo .

Even so, it was a really really good smoke - nice strong flavour from my Kendal Dark A Blend, burned nicely and was remarkably easy on the tongue considering how much smoke was coming through. My understanding is that the only real downside is that they'll eventually degrade but even then, they're alright. My very first was a cheap used one I found in a local pawn shop and while it's not so clean and cool, it's satisfying.

Plus they just look and feel great, what's not to love?

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Since writing the original post, I have acquire a total of three cobs and one briar. One of the many great things about cobs for new smokers starting out, is that they are inexpensive and this allows for cheap way to dedicate a pipe to each category of tobacco.

I would like to add my observations on the starter pipe.

When I started using a pipe during my college days, I used a well broken in Dunhill belonging to my uncle. I was not trying to smoke a pipe - I was trying to get nicotine quickly and very soon I destroyed that pipe. However, I did not fail to notice, how much better that bad boy smokes, compared to a basket pipe which my buddy in college bought.

When really started to smoke a pipe, I started with a Meerschaum. That’s the only pipe I owned for the very long period of two weeks before discovering this forum. Meerschaum is very forgiving to a beginner - you pack wet, it gently dries your tobacco by absorbing the extra moisture. It will not complain if you smoke it 10 times a day, and every smoke would be good. It does not need to be broken in - every smoke would be the same - in a brand new Meerschaum or a heavily used Meerschaum. It takes the pipe out of the equation. Only thing it requests - a good cleaning routine.

I love my Briar Pipes and I love my Meerschaums - but starting with Meerschaum was the best decision I made.

Whoever tells you - Cobs don’t need to be broken in is forgetting a small part. Cobs have a wooden part inside the bowl. That burns off during the first few smokes. And while it burns off - It tastes absolutely foul. Maybe an estate Cob is OK, but I will never recommend a brand new Cob to a beginner. Of course my experience of Cob was not that great, so I never bought a second one.

Reactions: Dusk and jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.