PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Hey everybody I posted awhile back about attending the ATL pipe club. I went for the first time on Sunday. It met at a nice little reaurant called Manuel's Tavern. It is an established place and has been there since 1956. It is nice and spacious with a great menu and fast service. It is so sacious in fact that on a Sunday afternoon about 18 pipe smokers settled in and spent the next 3 to 4 hours smoking and eating with no feeling of annoyance by the waiters that we were taking up tables for too long.
The club itself was fun. It was nice to finally take part in something with so many other like minded people. It was also fun to see all of the different pipes and learn about different tobaccos. One of the local members of the pipe club Ollie Sylvester who is an up and coming pipe maker was also there and showing us the wares he will be taking to the Richmond Pipe show. He has some really interesting ideas and was a very nice fellow even invited me to come and see his shop and told me that he would teach me more about pipe making. I have read articles about the pipe makers culture and how they want to share what they have learned to keep the passion alive, it was nice ot find that to be true first hand. His pipes are called O Sylvester pipes. I found his pipes refreshing, he has some very interesting ideas and shapes that set his work apart and you get to see some really unique things that he is diong. So that was really cool.
Lastly one of the guys that leads the club brought in a whole case of tinned tobaccos and just gave them out to all in attendance. I got 5 tins, two of which I have already cracked open and smoked, yummy! I'll keep you guys posted on the next meet, I cannot gaurantee tobacco, but I can gaurantee lots of good food, fun, and fellowship. I had such a good time that I cannot wait for the next one.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Sounds like a fantastic time with a group of great people. Shame I hate driving up to Atlanta from Southwest Georgia.

uapiper

Lurker
Sep 30, 2010
I attended as well and had a great "first pipe club" experience. As Shaintiques said above Manuel's was a great place and being around a group of like-minded people was well worth the 45 min drive in to town. I'm looking forward to the next meet.

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
That's really cool. Glad you had a great time. I think we've got one going on in Nashville but I'm not sure of the status. This definitely makes me want to think about attending.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Sounds like you had a great time! It's a shame I wasn't able to make it, I had to work( damn you, Walmart), but I'm on vacation next month and might be able to make that one. Thanks for the report, and looking forward to the first meeting of the Douglasville Pipe Club!

ebklodt

Might Stick Around
Nov 9, 2012
A group of us meeting up at http://www.thecigarshoppe.net/

This Sunday at 2pm.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
Google has it at 4320 Settendown Village Rd #800, Cumming, GA 30041. Way to far for me to go. I'm south of Atlanta otherwise I might check it out, but 90 miles and have to go through Atlanta. Eeekkk!!

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Wanted to bump this thread, is there still any official Atlanta pipe club? I live in Dunwoody. New pipe smoker but I’d be interested in kicking it with fellow enthusiasts.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
pappymac, Atlanta can be rough around the edges like any major metropolitan area, but this city has a lot to offer if you know where to look! Atlanta has a fantastic scene for local music, breweries, food, etc. it’s quite diverse and vibrant these days.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I lived in Atlanta for 2 years for work. Returned to Michigan in 2017.
Cant wait to go back. Lots of good people and good food there.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
redglow, same goes for Michigan! Grand Rapids is one of my all time favorite cities. The breweries and bars are absolutely outstanding. Hopcat is a national treasure.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
mt,
Yes! Beer City! Grand Rapids has a lot going on.
I live over on the East side of the state. (Metro Detroit). But, will be spending some time over in GR later this year. I will put that on my "must visit" list!
Atlanta definitely has a ton of great restaurants!

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Hopcat has a metric shit ton of limited production, high end brews you can’t find almost anywhere else. If you like sours and/or Belgians they have them aplenty. Hopcat should receive the same protected status as Yellowstone, in my opinion. Whichever poison you prefer, you won’t be disappointed!

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Lol! That sounds awesome! I will definitely be on the lookout.
I like sipping a little sour once in a while. It's strangely addictive in a flavor sense. It just keeps you wanting that next sip.
I used to live/hang out in the Buckhead area and had a rotation of 4 or 5 places that i would frequent. Not sure if you familiar with any of these.
Whitehall Tavern

Five Paces Inn

Tree House

Elbow Room

Whitehouse Restaurant (more of a diner type restaurant)

Broken Egg - Breakfast place

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’m a home body, don’t go out too much, but Whitehall and Another Broken Egg are outstanding. I’m sure the rest are, as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.