PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Anybody else open a new tin of this recently? I just got in 2 tins from SmokingPipes. Popped the tin yesterday, loaded up a bowl to smoke on my way to pool league. Fired it up and thought I bit into a bar of soap. Yuchhh. I thought perhaps I had smoked something odd in this pipe, blamed it on the pipe.
Fired a different pipe up this morning I knew had only had straight VA or VaPers in it, I had smoked SG FVF in it yesterday and it was excellent. Same soapy, floral flavors again. So I think it is safe to say it was the Astley's 44 and not the pipe.
Anybody seeing something similar? I asked Harris, he said he'd read where they recently changed the blend. If that is the case, hope they change it back.

gkr1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2017
San Diego
I like to know as well. Recenlty bought 4 tins and have not tried them. Getting age on them and have so many tins open at this time.
I first tried #44 when FVF was scarce and hard to come b, that was some years back. I like it then and I was hoping it was the same.

Dec 24, 2012
Hoosier - interesting. I don't have any recent tins of Astley 44 but the stuff I have in tins that are a few years old have no soapy or Lakelands type scent whatsoever.
That said, I paused when you say you smoked SG FVF in that pipe. I have heard some folks say that, since SG and GH merged, the newer tins of FVF now have a bit of a lakelands stench to them.

I have tasted a difference since 2016, when they changed the tins for #109, which used to be my favorite. I am not sure what is going on at Astleys. Maybe they hired a new blender or twerked with the formula? But, the old stuff was much better, IMO. The new stuff is like an aromatic to me.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Like Peck I don't have any recent tins. The jar I am smoking from now is from a tin purchased in 2014. I did buy a dozen or so per year so maybe I will discover that when I hit the 2016's

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Cosmic + twerk = bad mental image.... 8O
How To Twerk
jay-roger.jpg

Some have reported that FVF tastes like a Lakeland now, since SG combined factories with GH&co, but I don't taste it in my new boxes of FVF. But, I am just one person. It could be a ghost from 44, but... I am just guessing. 2012, would have been old stock FVF. So, I don't understand how the new factory would be the issue. Sorry, just poking in the dark here. FWIW

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Cosmic, that was my point. I don't believe either pipe was ghosted, I think it was the Astley's. I would try it in a third pipe but I'm afraid this crap is going to ghost the pipes I'm smoking it in.

Hmmm, I didn't like the new 44, but I wouldn't say that it was bad enough to ghost. I may just not be as sensitive to it. Do you have a c... c c cob? Maybe try it in one of those things. ha ha.
I put the new 44 in line with Orlik's DSK, not really in the Lakeland category for me. It has a pronounced licorice forward flavor. If you hate it, you might offer it up to a forum member that wants to try it. It's a good way to make a friend and build contacts. Or, maybe come back to it after it has had some time to air out and mellow out. Some blends need some time in the back of the rotation. YMMV.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I believe there is a rule about minimum posts and time here before posting in the swap forum. But if I wanted to make new friends, I think I'd be better served by sending them something I like versus a tin of soap turds.

elvergun

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2017
Soapy? I also bought a tin based on a recommendation from a guy who thinks he is a Virginia expert. I guess I'll find out if it is good or bad a year from now (more or less).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
  • I have been smoking through a tin of 2012 44 and it is fantastic. I just checked out tobaccoreviews and it is still being made by Kohlhase & Kopp who has been making it for a long time. Why they would ever mess with this is beyond me, it was a great flake. Came at the perfect moisture for loading up right out of the tin. The flakes in my 2012 are pretty short and clumped together in a pile. What do the flakes look like in your tin Mark?
    oh yeah, I am the idiot who told Mark to buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.