PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
Anyone have experience with these? They look very affordable, and if well made they could be a great value.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
They are similar in concept to the Ligne Britagne line and if my Askwith is any indication, Chris' finishing skills are excellent. The ones you see up now are the first of their kind, so I haven't heard any actual feedback but I'm willing to bet they are a great deal.

jogilli

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2013
They are great pipes.... He had them displayed at the Newark BPSC show a few weeks ago... They are a super deal in my opinion... And that of several others who departed the show with one
James

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I think they are a great deal. Chris does the sandblasts, the finish, and the stems. I know if it were in my budget, I would not hesitate, and I'm sure be happy to own one.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
Well "affordable" is a seriously relative term. He makes some very nice looking pipes, but I wouldn't really put them in "affordable" list in MY book. They're certainly "attainable."
I would consider a MM Cob affordable. Someone on the forums recently bought a sandblasted apple of his that was awesome.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
wow, anything over $10 is not considered affordable?
Like I said, it's relative. In my opinion, I would say a yes, a cob is very affordable, considering a $9 cob will smoke a bowl of tobacco just as good as a $350 or more pipe. I'm sure the individual dropping $350 on said pipe would argue that point to me, as I would expect. To me it's all about the from point A to point B. My Toyota can get get me 100 miles down the road just as well as someone driving a Ferrari. However, the latter might get some more attention as the car he's driving is much more unique than mine. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on buying a cob if had the need or want on any given day. I'm not in the financial position that I could say the same thing for a pipe over $125. I would also venture a guess, that I'm not alone in that respect.
I'd love to be have the means one day that I could do that, but alas today is not that day. For those that CAN afford such items, good for you.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I'm not in the financial position that I could say the same thing for a pipe over $125. I would also venture a guess, that I'm not alone in that respect.
If it were not for mounting medical bills, I would consider a "nice briar". But for now, if I have expendable income I prefer to use that money on tobaccos. If and when the well runs dry I'll still at least have tobacco to smoke in my cobs...

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
The Askwith "Hand Finished" pipes (as opposed to the "Hand Made" pipes)are bought in briar stummels and stems, re-finished as to draw etc. by Chris and polished or sand blasted by him - very nice indeed.
They start at under $100 and are in three gradesL
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/jimbo69441/AskwithHandFinishedPipes_zpsdc85fa8b.jpg

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'm going to "smoke" some crow here guys. I apologize, I thought the original post was about the "handmade" pipes. I saw Askwith and remember seeing his handcrafted ones that go for a few hundred bucks.
:?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've been wanting an Askwith and I just bit on this bent Billiard. In communications from Chris, he has been refining his finishing process, so I'm anxious to hold and smoke this one. The wait begins.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This is a very smart marketing move that we may spread to other artisan makers. I'm surprised that this has not happened earlier. Major pipe makers have had second lines almost from the beginning. By offering "entry level" pipes with the artists name the strategy is to get smokers to eventually step up the top line products. Even if folks don't graduate to the next level Askwith will have another income stream, which is a good thing. I'm sure that if his name is on a pipe he's making every effort to offer a solid product.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Al, looks very nice! I would say that with a craftsman like Chris, you can't go wrong.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
ssjones,I like your taste- I have been eyeing that one for a while too- if it had a cumberland stem I might have beat you to it :D

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The website says the stems are either vulcanite or acrylic. The good news on my pipe, it that Chris says it was made from old-stock vulcanite rod, which is my preference.

Dec 24, 2012
Al, that looks like a delightful pipe. You can't go wrong with Chris. He is a top notch guy and wouldn't send you something that wasn't perfect. He seems to be quite a cook too - I am friends with him on Facebook and he is always posting various delicious-looking culinary creations - not that this has anything to do with the subject at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.