PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Not sure I understand the question. I myself am not overly partial to aromatics, but the ones I enjoy I choose because they have a certain flavor profile not available as a non-aromatic.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Because they are that good!
Its kinda like asking coke or sprite? Both soda/pop but totally different. Been smoking them for along time, and love them. Like all tobacco some are better than others. Will I smoke a frog morton? Sure, but I always go back to what I like more.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
One element is price and availability, another is courtesy--non-smokers are less repulsed by aros. Then there's nostalgia--my 'first blend' in my 'first pipe' always takes me back.
And if you can manage a very faint French Inhale, you will pick up on some of the added flavors.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
As noted, sometimes it's not entirely about what you like, but about what everyone around you is going to like better. The greatest good for the greatest number, or the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few or the one, if you want to get all Utilitarian about it with John Stuart Mill and Spock.
As a study in contrasts, I took my pipe along to a music festival last year. On day one, I smoked Lane 1-Q and got several compliments on how wonderful the pipe smoke smelled. On day two, I smoked Black House, and got only a single comment asking if I was smoking weed... :lol: Not a statistically valid sample size by any means, but as a result I've taken to smoking aromatics when we have guests over for occasional bbq dinners and one of the guests also smokes a pipe, reserving my "Stinky Englishes" and Va/Per smoking for solo efforts, or trips to the B&M as the cigar guys really don't have a leg to stand on with regard to my Latakia preference. 8)

I started smoking aros in the morning with my coffee and while making breakfast for my kids before school because they complained about teachers and friends asking them if they had been at an all night card game. The aros smelled better on them. But, I came to really like a couple, Erinmore Flake and McC's Deep Hollow. They have a nice mix of tobacco and aromatic flavor for me. Plus, Erinmore will kick your butt with nicotine, mmmmm...

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
I smoke an aro or two each day. Sometimes it just hits the spot and it's a palate cleanser before my next bowl of "regular" blends.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Sometimes I need a change and my wife enjoys it a hell of a lot more than the english blends that I usually smoke. Some have a more subtle flavor profile than others, so you can still taste the natural flavors of the tobacco. I like SG Celtic Talisman, Carter Hall and 1Q pretty well. Plus I feel that they make me appreciate the flavors of the other non-aro tobaccos in my rotation.
Smoke what you like Brother!

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Whatever I'm in the mood for at the time. Sometimes an aro just hits the spot.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
This pretty much answers it for me...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz-p1gH1nGc

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
I received a free sample of C&D's Autumn Evening, with my last TAD, which was cool, because I've been wanting to try it. I'm a Va smoker 99% of the time... I was looking for an aro I might enjoy... AE sounded appealing... Nah. Smells like brown sugar for one, and tastes like PG, for two. So, more aro's for ya'll. I'll pass.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Technically, Carter Hall and Classic Burley Kake are aros, and neither of them have the cake-shop-fire effect.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
My wife loves the Aros that I smoke like Molto Dolce, County Cork, EGR, Autumn Evening, etc. She loves the room note and is OK with me smoking them in the house. When smoking straight Virginias and Burleys I step outside on the deck. As they say, "Happy wife, happy life."

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
The question is very broad. I think it's helpful to distinguish between more traditional aromatics that still offer tobacco flavor and the more sticky, candy-aroma modern American Black Cavendish aromatics.
There's a world of difference between, say, Captain Black and Erinmore Flake.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I see there are different opinions on why to smoke an aro. Thanks for your input. When I try a bulk aro I find them tasteless. The tin/jar note to me is overly sweet. Some of the room notes reminds me of most of e-juice I smell.
Sorry guys just trying logicly figure out the large interest in these blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.