PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is a medium strength according to my tastes. I do however agree with the 5 Brothers recommendations. I added (2) 1.5 oz pouches to 12 oz of Captain Black Cherry and it made for a good tasting blend. The cherry taste was calmed down and I get more of a tobacco taste and some nicotine strength.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'll add Solani 639 Tropical Mango Flake, HU Daddy Gefftl, HU Cherry Saronno, HU Hadde's Best Irish, G&H Dark Plug Rum, G&H Ennerdale Flake, Sam Gawith 1792,Sam Gawith Grousemoor, and G&H Top Black Cherry Rope, among others.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I seldom smoke sweet aromatics straight anymore, and usually blend something stronger with them. I like to mix East India Trading Co. Royal Challenge, which has a slight rum flavor, with Black Frigate, GH Rum Flake or GLP Sextant. Or try Drew Estate's Grand Central, which has a coconut flavor with GH Sweet Coconut Twist. I've also used C&D Autumn Evening which has a maple flavor with GH Maple Twist.
There are lots of combinations you can make to give an aro more tobacco flavor and punch. Or you could as suggested, smoke War Horse Green, or some of the Lakeland blends. :wink:

Yep, I love the PS Dark Fired Kentucky added to Danske Mild Orange. Then there Firedance Flakes, Erinmore Flake, University for a tobacco forward aro, Royal Yacht if you can stand it, Autumn Evening has a decent stregnth to it, and another fav of mine is adding Coconut Twist slices to Molto Dolce, which is a favorite of Mrs Cosmic.

downinit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2016
I use G&H dark birds eye because it is shag cut to help goopy aromatics like molto dolce to burn better.

I keep remembering strong aromatics while I am away from my devices, but then I get back here and cannot recall.
Ray, Cube cut Burley, does it have the same strength as say... Dark Fired Kentucky or 5 brothers? I've had CCB once, but it was a few years ago, and I can't recall the strength. I do remember that it had a nice taste. I can see it being a great mixer to nic-up a blend.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
@COSMIC:
I've never smoked C&D's Cube Cut Burley, but from what I've read on Tobacco Reviews it has a strength rating of Medium to Strong. JimInks gives it a 3 star rating as a mixer. My order is Out for Delivery so I'll know in a few hours. I believe that C&D uses it in their "Crooner" blend and I find that as a strong nicotine blend. I've smoked both Dark Fired Kentucky and 5 Brothers and find Crooner has a little less of a nicotine kick then those two blends, but not by much.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you shop aromatics, to your own taste, just look at the strength indicator. Most aros don't get above medium, but as mentioned, you can always add a little nic boost with Five Brothers, C&D Big'n'Burley, or other strong tobacco. I like strong tobacco, mostly for the taste I guess, but I don't crave or seek nicotine per se. When I get a buzz, that's okay, but it's not a longing. (My mom liked to smoke cigarettes for the dramatic gesture, but every pack always went stale because she just didn't need the nic; I think I got that gene.)

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
@Cosmic:
I've smoked my first bowl of C&D's Cube Cut Burly and had to lay down for an hour. That's never happened with Dark Fired Kentucky and 5 Brothers. As I stated in my previous post, Dark Fired Kentucky & 5 Brothers have more of a nicotine kick then Crooner, which is a cube cut burley. The C&D Cube Cut is in my opinion stronger then Dark Kentucky & 5 Brothers. I mixed some cube cut with some of the C&D Apricot Cream I received a few days ago and it really helped up the strength of that blend without altering the taste. I highly recommend C&D's Cube Cut Burley as a mixer.

Status
Not open for further replies.