PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
One of my New Year's resolutions is to try a couple of aromatics this year. So I'd love to hear your #1 recommendation for the best aromatic you know.
Not to be uber-picky, but I'd appreciate it if you all could keep two things in mind:
1) I am NOT looking for English/aromatic crossovers. I'm looking for full-blown aromatics that don't pretend to be anything else.

2) I am NOT interested in anything from Hearth & Home or C&D. No offense to their many fans, but their house styles are just not appealing to me.
Hopefully my "restrictions" aren't too restrictive! But I know there are tons of blends out there that never get much exposure here, from companies like Brebbia, Astley, Ashton, CAO, Brigham. . . not to mention Sutliff, McClelland, MacBaren, etc.
Thanks!
Bob

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
Rattray's Bagpipers Dream is probably my favourite aromatic. The cognac dressing comes through in the taste not just in the room note. I have had staunch non-smokers tell me how good that stuff smells.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Try 4noggins Three Blind Moose! Best of both worlds, good quality leaf and a sweet aroma.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I'm partial to 4th Generation 1957. I love it's smooooothness and I find it is not goopy like some aromatics. The tin note may put you off. It did me as it very strong (OMG this is not going to be good) but the smoke is totally different. Imagine my relief. If I smoke out of the tin I let it breathe for 20-30 min. before loading. If you are an English blend afficianado you may find it to be on the mild side. But I like it. Happy puffin',
Dave

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
W.O. Larsen Signature Vintage Mixture, very good quality tobacco and lives up to an aromatic finally tasting as good as it smells. It is pretty pricey but definitely worth a try.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
ghost: Just looked up Three Blind Moose on the 4Noggins site. Sounds delicious. But I'm curious: I'd be shocked if 4Noggins is actually creating this themselves. Do you know if it's someone else's bulk that they're just renaming? (Not that that influences whether or not I try it.)
Bob

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
rmb - bully for you. I need to venture out some myself. My arophile buds seem to think Boswell's and Carole @ Pipeworks & Wilke are as good as them come re aros. Sutliff has a huge array of aros.
hp

les

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
McClelland Capt Cool, MacBaren 7 Seas, Peterson Luxury (amazing blend). I'm trying some Blind Moose on my next order and to my knowledge Rich at 4noggins does all his own blending.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Actually Bob, I don't know that offhand. It says they hand blend it themselves, I always just assumed they did...

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
blueeyedogre:
Which MacBaren 7 Seas do you most recommend: Black, Gold, Red, Regular, or Royal?
Bob

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I used to buy this for my Grandfather when Walgreens quite carrying his Peach Melba.
Peter Stokkebye 303 Peaches & Creme. "Peter Stokkebye Peaches & Crème Pipe Tobacco is a flue-cure blend of Zimbabwe, Malawi mixed with Black Cavendish and mild Burley. These tobaccos are met with a healthy dose of pure peach flavoring to create a brilliantly aromatic smoke that's sweet and fruity, but extremely creamy and smooth. Mild to medium in body."

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
The Aromatic that I usually turn to when I am craving such things is Reiner Professional Mixture. It is a bit pricey though.
All of the 4th generation tobaccos I have tried have been good but I have not tried them all, but truthfully I can't remember the numbers of the ones I have tried. I will say that the flake in the square tin isn't an aromatic, but it sure is good.
Peterson's Nutty cut is pretty good, it has good flavor and isn't overpowered by aromatic flavor.
There are also tons of bulk aromatics from lane, mcclelland, macbaren, and others. I would suggest pick some flavors you like and give them a try them. If you have a good Pipe shop near you, they usually let you try some in the shop if you bring your own pipe.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
W.O. Larsen Signature is the best aro I've tried. It's everything I think an aro should be.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
delkhouri:
Oh, I know about pipe shops! :) But I was specifically looking for personal recommendations from folks here, not stuff I knew I'd be inclined to like. (Does that make sense?) I want to try blends I wouldn't normally be inclined to like, blends I WOULDN'T pick out for myself. Like aromatics in general! ;)
BTW, I'm filling a SmokingPipes shopping cart as I go through this thread. But I was astounded at the price of the Reiner Professional Blend: A 100g tin for $22.18! (I've seen B&M stores charge that -- and more -- for Rattray's 100g tins, but I hadn't noticed such an expensive blend at SP.com.) Now, I've paid much more than that for less tobacco, but still. . .
Bob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks, everybody!
No need to drag this out, I guess. I'm placing an order today for the following, based on your suggestions:
Nording Labrador

Stokkebye 4th Generation 1957

McClelland Captain Cool

MacBaren 7 Seas Gold

Peterson Luxury Blend

Larsen Signature Vintage Mixture
Now all I have to do is smoke them all, and my New Year's resolution will be satisfied!
BTW, I'm starting with a SmokingPipes order, but I promise I'll get around to the 4Noggins blends that were suggested as well.
Thanks, again!
Bob

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Which MacBaren 7 Seas do you most recommend: Black, Gold, Red, Regular, or Royal?
I enjoyed the gold mixture myself. I would really like to try MacBaren's Bronze cube. It has gotten a lot of good reviews. The other aros on my list include.....

Dan's Tobaccos: Devil's Holiday

Peterson: Connoisseur's Choice

Middleton's: Sugar Barrel

MacBaren: Vanilla Cream Flake

Peterson: Sunset Breeze

To name a few. That being said my day to day smoke is Lane's 1Q, I like others for variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.