PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 25, 2019
I'm into non-aromatics, especially english blends, but I would like to find an aromatic that both I and the people around me might enjoy. Any suggestions would be helpful. My my problem with the aromatics I've had is that they don't seem to burn as well as the english, generally aren't strong enough, and usually have an unbearable tongue bite. Maybe those are just things that come with the aromatic territory, but there's got to be something that's bearable.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I really enjoy Scotty's Butternut Burley, Lane RLP-6, and Sutliff Burley J4. All are good burning and have minimal bite (assuming you properly dry them) and have good room note.

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
Try Boswell Aros, great room note and much dryer than others. There are countless Gawith blends that will work, or Stokkebye.
Try drying your Aros longer. I've had to dry some Sutliff baccy for as much as 24hrs. My climate is fairly humid though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of the OTC codger pouch blends burn continuously, evenly and well. You have to determine your own tastes. Some I find good are SWR Aromatic, Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, Edward G. Robinson (not pouch but a fine old blend), and Erin Go Braugh from PC, among many others. I like tobacco forward. Did you know Granger was an aromatic? I think molasses is the flavoring. I too prefer non-aro, and the wrong aromatics give tongue bite and chemical burn; my worst problems were with holiday blends with cinnamon and such. Lately on the recommendation of Embers I tried Mixture No. 79, anisette flavor, and found it tobacco forward and a good even complete burn.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
apb-tp-1000.png

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
G. L. Pease The Virginia Cream, C&D Autumn Evening, and Peterson’s Founder’s Choice may be good mixtures to try. They are all over the place in flavor and are not goopy.

Mar 25, 2019
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll be reading a bunch of reviews before I pick a handful to try.
@mityahicks --- Going to try to dry them a bit I guess, most of what the shops carry around here is Sutliff, I'm in Michigan so summers are humid but when it's cold it's bone dry.
@mso489 --- Sounds like the Three Star Blue is a must try for me, description says it has Latakia and Perique, so that gives me hope. I'm also a big fan of anise flavors so no 79 will be another to check out.
@Paul --- That's probably the best way to describe what I'm looking for. Amphora seems like a top contender for me.
RLP-6 seems to have come up a lot as well so I may have to give that a go. Again thanks for all of the suggestions. I won't be running out of things to smoke anytime soon. :D

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
I prefer Amphora full aroma to the regular. My untimate for an occasional Cavendish I think is aged maduro cavendish..

Of course theres good old capt black reg (white)..

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Chuckyeageronlsd - As you already are partial to Latakia, but want to try an Aromatic, another way you could go is to split the difference with Lane LTD's HGL mixture. This is reported to essentially be Lane LTD's RLP-6 + Latakia. - Sherm Natman

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
Lately I’ve been enjoying Sail Green Aromatic in a natural MM straight cob with the filter.

Its got an anise topping and is virginia forward with orentals and latakia.
-Tim

Mar 25, 2019
I just wanted to revisit after receiving my first P&C order. I ordered 8 blends and so far I REALLY am in love with the Lane HGL. I ended up ordering 3 straight aros just to try and I'm not disappointed. I guess the B&Ms around here just aren't great, we used to have a good one but that's another story. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

alsatmem

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2019
I find Sutliff Aromatic English to be a nice crossover blend also

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some find MIxuture No. 79 a ghosting problem, so if you are bothered by stray flavors, you might want to designate a pipe, maybe a cob. 79 seems quite ordinary to me, but I'm somewhat easygoing about these matters. I'm just relaying what some have suggested. I'd use my "designated" cob for another blend without a blink.

Mar 25, 2019
@mso. Ghosting doesn't really bother me, unless it's a flavor that I just can't stand. I vape when I can't smoke and ghosting is a much bugger issue in that world imo. Didn't end up ordering any 79. I did get 2 sutliff blends but I found both to be bitey so I'm apprehensive now. I can deal with ghosting, but bite not so much. I'm going to try drying it a bit an I hope that helps. I've found if I have to resort to OTC CB is the best choice, it's available practically everywhere and I actually kind of like it. I read a rumor that RLP-6 is basically CB and HGL is RLP-6 with latakia, so I guess it makes sense I like both.
@alsatmem I was going to order some Aro English but it was backordered I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.