PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
So I'm hoping for a little advice here. I regularly smoke Va/Pers, English Blends, Dark Fired blends, etc. I will just about smoke anything (except for straight Burley; just not my cup of tea unless it's Semois, and that is on a rare occasion).
My wife hates my pipe smoking vehemently (surprise, surprise), but she says that it's because the blends that I smoke smell too much like a cigarette (fair enough; we're both reformed cigarette smokers and really can't stand the smell of them) and that her memories of her grandfather involved a more aromatic and pleasant smell.
Here is the rub. I want to be somewhat flexible with what I smoke and possibly make it to where I can smoke when I'm around her more often, but I generally do not like Aromatic blends. While I'm not opposed to the smell of a nice aromatic, I've found that most don't taste like much in the tobacco department.
I ordered a few small samples of Aromatics from The Country Squire (listen to the podcast and I'm a MS native, so I was intrigued), and while they are pretty good, they still lack the "oomph" of my Non-Aro blends (both in flavor and Vitamin N).
I'm wondering if anyone here in their infinite wisdom has some recommendations for some blends that I could try. Something that will satisfy both my need for some authentic tobacco taste and strength as well as smell pleasant to those around me.
I also would rather not have to dedicate specific pipes to Aromatics if possible. I have several Cobs that I usually use on the rare occasion that I smoke an Aromatic, but I prefer my briars and would like to use them if possible. But this is not a deal breaker. Cobs are great pipes and deliver a good smoke, so I can certainly make do if need be.
Thanks in Advance for your guidance!

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Some people can probably recommend some mixtures of aromatic and non-aromatics that would be palatable to both you and your wife. GL Pease's The Virginia Cream scratches my aromatic itch, and my wife likes the smell. In fact, it's one of only a couple indoor-approved blends I smoke.
You may not find it strong enough for your taste, but it definitely won't ghost your pipes. I smoek it in my Virginia and VA/Per pipes.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
@Hap - Thanks. I've been eyeing Virginia Cream for a while, just haven't pulled the trigger. But seeing as 80% of my cellar consists of GLP blends, I'm pretty sure that I would like it.
@Olkofri - Appreciate the suggestion. While I do enjoy some of the Lakeland blends, the issue that I've noticed lately is that they can be hit or miss on the availability. The nic hit isn't the most crucial thing, but I would still like to feel like I'm smoking tobacco and not cotton candy.

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
Maybe find what Aro she likes (mine like Molto Dolce) and mix it with some Five Bros. for a nic hit / tobacco flavor.
Wondering what you thought of Country Squire Parsons Blend.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
@tenton - Good suggestion. I may have to go that route.
I have some Molto Dolce and have smoked it around her and she didn't throw up, but it is too sweet for me and haunts my pipes like a deranged Poltergeist. I would have to blend with something else.
I didn't get the Parsons Blend. I got Rivendell, which is pretty good but a little light in the flavor/body department. I also got the White Rose which I enjoyed quite a bit actually. But it's a little one note to me and would get a little monotonous if I smoked it all the time.
I also got Old Toby which is waaayyy too sweet for me. Very reminiscent of Molto Dolce actually.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
One thing you could do is to turn an issue of contention into a matter of contentment: make her part of the hunt for the ideal blend. Bring her along to the tobacconist and let her smell the blends available, even let her choose one for you (hard to complain about something one chose oneself, eh?). Yes, you're likely to hate the taste of some of the choices, but so what? Because we don't have your tongue or her nose, we can't really help you much; this is a hunt you must embark on yourself and it'd be positive to include her in the selection process: if she sees that you're taking pains to please her she's more likely to be more sympathetic and less critical, and even tolerate the occasional campfire stench of some English blends.
During the search you might end up liking something you couldn't stomach earlier. Did I ever mention I hated olives and now crave them?

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I have tried to like some aromatics, but I can't. The closest I get is St Bruno Flake.

Clean virginias give a pleasant odor IMO. FVF, Capstan Blue and the likes of those.

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
Try some of the blends listed as “English Aromatics.” These tend not to be overly sweet and sticky like say Molta Dolca.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
HGL, Perfection, St Bruno Flake, Bob's Chocolate/Mayors Collection Chocolate, a lot of the Gawith blends.
But if your wife is like mine, it can largely be a question of mood. A tobacco she adores today when you're her hero can elicit a different reaction tomorrow when you're in the dog house.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Have you tried Autumn Evening? That one smells nice, has plenty of red VA flavor to my palate and I find thatit blends extremely well. A lot of the non-aromatic blends are going to be a problem in terms of reminding someone of cigarette aroma, IMO. The problem, of course, is that pipe tobacco is made of the exact same leaf that ends up in cigarettes with a few differences. One of the differences is added flavorings and scents. Another is in the use of condimental leaf like Latakia, perique and DFK. Unless your wife likes the aromas of those tobaccos, you might be in a tight spot.
How about the aroma of cigars? Does she mind that? Maybe cigar leaf based blends wouldn't be as offensive?
I like Olkofri's suggestion of involving your wife in the process.
I might also suggest making your own. I am sure you can find some resources on using natural flavorings and use them to doctor up some non-aros. Maybe some members have experience with that?

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Two suggestions. Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake is essentially a Virginia, but a light topping gives it a very pleasant aroma that most people seem to like. If that's not quite good enough smelling to please your wife, try Mac Baren Vanilla Flake. It has an obvious natural vanilla accent and flavor, yet manages to not be sweet.
The Mac Baren Mixture recommendation is solid, too.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I'll second Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake as well as Peter Stokkebye Optimum. Optimum is nice and fruity/sweet. I was never an aromatic smoker. But, I have been trying some nice ones lately and really am glad to be able to break up the routine with a nice sweet, fruity tobacco from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.