PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Autumn Evening cut 50/50 with Brown Bogie is too legit to quite. The aroma makes wives horny too... It’s true, it’s true.
Also been digging Mac Baren Navy Flake & Mixture Flake lately and they both have a wonderful room-notes.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake - great vanilla aroma on what would be a great VaBur Flake on its own without the topping
Mac Baren Club Blend - Typical Mac Baren sweet Virginias with their honey/maple casing. Plenty of dark fired Kentucky as well. Nonsmokers compliment the smell all the time, with “roasted marshmallows” a common description
Erinmore Flake - fruity apricot topping on a hefty VaBur flake
GL Pease Barbary Coast - Cube cut burley, red Virginia, and Perique with a brandy topping. Kinda tastes and smells like chocolate covered cherries. This is a blend I will only smoke after eating as it always gives me a big nic hit
Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake - A VaPer that also has a little bit of a sweet topping (I think rum), that also gets a lot of compliments for the aroma

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Amphora Original Blend: Moderate strength, good flavor, lightly aromatic.
If you're willing to try Lakelands, I recommend Kendal Flake by Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. You'll need to dedicate a pipe to it.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
The only blends my wife likes the scent of are straight Virginia’s. She doesn’t like the smell of vapers or Lakelands. The luxury twist is worth a try. Give a straight VA a trial, rum usually smells nice, try C&D Blockade Runner. HH Pure Virginia is approved at my house.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
St. Ives from Esoterica is an excellent cross over blend. I often will put Latakia into an aromatic for something with a pleasant smell and great taste.

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I think the best thing for me to do will be to find an Aromatic that she won't find offensive and maybe blend a little more Red Virginia or Dark Fired leaf in with it to give it the flavor and strength that I'm looking for.
For those of you that recommended I take her to a shop to let her smell some Aromatics or buy some samples and let her smell them, I applaud your optimism. But I can guarantee you that she would not be up for that venture.
Smoking as a whole is not something that she is down with, and I respect her enough to not suggest it. However, she has on occasion surprised me by encouraging me to find a tobacconist when we are on vacation, and she just recently told me to order that new pipe that I had been eyeing for my birthday. But those instances are few and far between.
But there were several suggestions of brands that now I just want to try just because I am curious. Thanks again to everyone!

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I like Esoterica Pembroke a lot...more than Margate, actually. It might not be an aro per se, but the cognac gives the aroma a little boost.
I recently discovered SG Kendal Cream Flake, and I enjoy that one a lot.
Both of these have the S.O.'s approval. Strangely enough she doesn't like Mac Baren Scottish Mixture or MM965, also considered a Scottish blend. I'll have to ask her opinion about Scotch whisky, butterscotch, Scotch tape, Scotch shortbread, Scotch ale, actor Scott Bakula, and Scottish terriers.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I'd choose widely available old classics Erinmore Flake St Brunos and perhaps both Amphoras,the original Brown and Red,+ some McBarens basic offerings such as navy Flake and Scottish mix,these two are milder in nic.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
For me I keep it simple. She likes the aroma of Lanes 1Q. Also Capt Black Gold mixed with just a tad of PA.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Try C&D Stringduster, Virginia and Turkish with a touch of maple and rum. My wife loves the room note, I love the tobacco.

Jul 3, 2019
One thing you could do is to turn an issue of contention into a matter of contentment: make her part of the hunt for the ideal blend. Bring her along to the tobacconist and let her smell the blends available, even let her choose one for you (hard to complain about something one chose oneself, eh?). Yes, you're likely to hate the taste of some of the choices, but so what? Because we don't have your tongue or her nose, we can't really help you much; this is a hunt you must embark on yourself and it'd be positive to include her in the selection process: if she sees that you're taking pains to please her she's more likely to be more sympathetic and less critical, and even tolerate the occasional campfire stench of some English blends.
Best advice in this thread @Olkofri, oh wise and benevolent sage! :worship: Wait....I don't have a wife to appease anymore. :D Still great advice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.