PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
That also may be over-generalizing it, as Autumn Evening and PS LTF are both pure cavendishes, and they are renown for being amazing smokes. Some just suck. There is no rhyme nor reason, they just suck. But, for everyone that sucks, someone is going to love it, and vica-versa.
True - I'll have to give those a try and see.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Sutliff 245 ZBC (still available) or McClelland Erik Nording's Hunter Retriever (no longer made, but fairly readily available on flebay & elsewhere if you don't mind paying $20/tin.)
Bill

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Since I have no idea what the heck I'm doing, I thought I'd chime in. :lol:
Ignoring what an aromatic may or may not actually be, I'll go with what comes to my mind which is pretty much any blend that has noticeable sweetening or flavoring added in some. If you're just looking for something that tastes good, as the title of the thread implies, then there is no need to get bogged down in whether or not a particular blend is truly an aromatic or not. At least in my mind that is.
So here is what i have found most enjoyable and some random thoughts:
Anything with rum. Some of these blends have turned out not to be all that but I have noticed the wetter the better.
Molto Dulce. Nice and sweet. When I first tried it I figure what I was tasting. Online descriptions include vanilla, caramel and honey. I got marshmallow. Close enough.
4 Noggins Three Blind Moose. The online descriptions of butterscotch are indeed accurate. This is a very mild smoke.
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Loose Cut. I could smoke this stuff all day.
C&D Dark Chocolate. Tastes exactly as it smells which is like a dark cocoa powder. Mild enough to smoke all day but I would get overwhelmed with it if I tried. I need to try Bob's chocolate and see which I prefer.
50/50 mix of the MB Vanilla Cream & CD Dark Chocolate listed above. This produced a nice and rich smoke. The vanilla was constantly present but the chocolate occasionally and very nicely wafted in both the aroma and taste. I'm going to premix this in a 4oz mason jar and give it some time to see what happens.
I don't think these are considered aromatics but you're missing our if you don't give them a try:
Black Frigate and Dreams of Kaddath. I don't know about others but I get lots of plum/fig type flavors and sweetness in these. The nicotine is much more noticeable in these two though. They also have smokey flavors that the above aromatics do not.
Haunted Bookshop. I'll take either of the two above over HB but I though it deserved an honorable mention.
Some final thoughts:
The smokiness and nicotine in the last 2 (3 actually) are a better line of division for me than what a correct or technical definition of aromatic is. These blends can taste sweeter than many aromatics but if I'm not ready for the smokiness and especially the nicotine it can really through me for a loop.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Notice that Molto Dolce comes in for mention several times. It really does taste like it smells, and as an English smoker, I use it as my switch-off blend. Sutliff Creme Brûlée is pretty much the same as a bulk tobacco. Also, in the strange department, Lene HGL is an aromatic English, sort of. Tastes like an English, with a very pleasant room note.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Notice that Molto Dolce comes in for mention several times. It really does taste like it smells, and as an English smoker, I use it as my switch-off blend.
Yes I do! :)

Looking forward to my monthly tobacco budget resetting on 10/1 so I can try some of these!

misha66

Lurker
Mar 10, 2015
I quickly realized years ago that I don't like aros. When I want something that I consider sweet I just smoke a burley. My taste buds don't seem to like anything that doesn't taste like some sort of tobacco type.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I'm going to have to crack a tin of that one. Haven't smoked any of it this year.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
For me when I want an aromatic I always go back to Lane's 1Q.
It sounds to me though that what you're looking for is more in line with the Danish style aromatics. They tend to do more tobacco forward and lighter on the top dressing/casing than American blenders do.
C&D is definitely one to look into. Their Autumn Evening has a noticeable maple top dressing, but the tobacco is clearly evident in the flavor profile and is very high quality leaf. I've heard their Nutty Irishman and Apricots N Cream are like that. I would also second or third Virginia Cream by GL Pease (produced by C&D).

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Autumn Evening has a noticeable maple top dressing, but the tobacco is clearly evident in the flavor profile and is very high quality leaf
100% Amen to that, Lord. I picked up some of it at my local B&M Saturday & am getting interested in it!

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
It sounds to me though that what you're looking for is more in line with the Danish style aromatics. They tend to do more tobacco forward and lighter on the top dressing/casing than American blenders do.
I guess that's it. I like tobacco. The "popular" aros (Lane, CB) are very bland tasting to me.

Interesting, lordofthepiperings. This could almost be a thread unto itself. But, taking into consideration that Lane LTD was a German tobacco company that moved to the US in 1938, billing itself as Germanic flavors. It was in the Germanic countries that prided itself on flavoring tobaccos in the manner of German pastries where we get this notion of "aromatics." There is references to 17th century tobacconists in Germanic countries gooping up their tobaccos to make them heavier (to turn a higher profit) and to appeal more to Germanic smokers that already enjoyed these flavors in their internationally aclaimed pastries. Sutliff aside... I think of American tobacco companies as McClelland and C&D, which used aromatics sparingly in "most" of their aromatic lines of tobaccos. And, recently Sutliff and Peter Stokkebye merged... Have you ever tried the PS lines of aromatics? Nouget, peaches and Cream, etc... They are as good as 1Q, but still not very tobacco-ey. MacBarens aromatics, Seven Seas, Ambrosia, Danish Mixtures... Halberg, Green, Red, etc... H.W. Sutliff, Altadis, Lane, etc... were Germanic in their origins and styles. It's just funny that America gets the label for goopy aromatics, when it was all from Germanic origins, and the Germanic countries that still produce aromatics are top of their class in (what I think of as) goopy.
Just posting for something to think about.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I only smoke the occasional aromatic blend, favoring English, and straight Virginias. The aros I’ve enjoyed enough to buy more than once are
MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake

Dan Tobacco’s Blue Note

Cult Blood Red Moon

1-Q

Trout Stream
These all keep their flavor through the bowl and aren’t too goopy or bitey, IME.

Status
Not open for further replies.