Are You Going to Buy Carolina Red Flake Tomorrow?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I've never tried any vintage of it, and I'd want to open a tin soon if I did buy some, so I'm still on the fence. Do you think it's lived up to the hype in years past? Or is it just a marketing stunt?

Reactions: redone

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
I plan to buy the limit, which will provably be 5. I did like it when I bought some last year. It reminds me of good Pease Virginia blends. If you dont like GLP virginias then I would skip it.

I also hope they rerelease The Beast. I missed it the first ho around ?

mityahicks

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 18, 2018
I hope to pick some up. I have not yet tried the blend from previous years though.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I sure will be. I had the pleasure to enjoy last years batch from late 2018. I bought 2 tins and wish I had bought more. I opened one and the other is ageing.

For me, the 2018 run was a more spicy red Virginia than I'm used to. It's a great smoke, and even with the year that I had aged on it, it will only get better.

With time, this will be the new McCellands Christmas Cheer, not in terms of flavor, but collectors mindset.

If you miss out on this run, GL Pease Union Square is another great virginia flake that incorporates a little bright leaf to soften the spices of pure reds. I find that Union Square is on par with Carolina Red Flake and at a better price point. Both are really good.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I thought it to be one of the better red Va.s around. Doesn't have much of the "vinegar" some want from a straight red Va., but the earthiness is more than you usually get.
Here's my review of an earlier batch:

Several 2015 North Carolina grown red Virginias are processed into a very easily broken apart flake to suit your packing preference, and for a better burn rate than what some flake blends offer. It’s very tangy, dark fruit sweet with a lot of earth, some woodiness, very mild grass, natural sugar and citrus notes, along with slightly more than mild spice. The first thing that hits you as you light up is the tangy sweetness and earth, which are the main features of the flavors. The other attributes I mentioned quickly show themselves, and remain all throughout the proceedings. The nic-hit is just a shade past being mild. The strength is just a little closer to medium than it is to mild. The taste is right at the medium level.

Not a complex product, but there’s enough variety going on to hold your interest as the flavor is fairly smooth and very consistent from start to finish. I say “fairly smooth” only because the much appreciated earth and spice continually underscores the inherently tangy sweetness of the reds. Burns at a moderate pace, cool and clean with no dull or harsh spots. Won’t bite even if pushed, though I recommend a slow cadence in order to fully savor the experience. Easily burns to ash, and requires just a few relights. Leaves a light dampness in the bowl. The tangy after taste very pleasantly lingers a little, and the room note is a little sweet. Can be an all day smoke if you wish.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
This is the last year of the Red Virginia stockpile Jeremy uses for this. Says he is on the hunt for a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.