Are There Any Oval Shanked Bent Billiards?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I am sitting out side smoking my Dunhill 5102 and thinking an oval shanked bent billiard would be cool. Is there a shape like this and does anyone have one?
Fixed thread title, please see rule number 9. Pertinent portion: Please capitalize words in the thread titles. Thank you, Robert.

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
I have an oval shank bent dublin. I'm sure there is an oval shank bent billiard around somewhere. May have to special order it though.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't remember having seen one online or in person. Many Canadians are oval, as a standard for the shape, and I have a Sav bulldog (Opera series) that has the diamond stem rounded so it is arguably a Rhody hybrid. But never a bent billiard with an oval stem -- interesting idea. It's certainly an attainable commission.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
+1 on both above. I too own a couple of bent dublins with oval shanks, and a commission billiard with an oval shank seems entirely in the realm of possibility.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
...come to think of it, I have a bent Dublin (Britannia) with an oval shank. The oval shank is a fairly traditional feature, but not in billiards, that I've seen.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Here's a start.
https://www.smokershaven.com/genod-pipe-smooth-red-bent-oval-shank-billiard/

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
They're not common, but they do exist. Here's an example of a GBD New Era. I realize it's not obvious that it's an oval shank, so you'll have to take my word for it, whatever that's worth. ;)
GBDcasedBentweb.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That 'stain' pattern on the case is interesting. I wonder. Is the pipe smoked? I realize there are two materials involved, but there's a bit of coloring at the button too.

G.L. Pease to the rescue!

Thank you Greg.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
The pipe was heavily smoked when I acquired it, and took quite a bit of restoration to bring it to this condition. I didn't bother to try to clean the case, and just consider it part of the patina. I had another GBD in this same shape with a silver band that hallmarked to 1911. I always regretted trading it, so when I found this cased example, I jumped on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.