PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
As a ex-cigarette smoker, I'm pretty thoroughly addicted to nicotine. As such, I smoke mostly burley blends and tobaccos that are specifically described as having a fair amount of nicotine. I occasionally, though, like the sweetness and flavors found in some American style aromatics. They never satisfy me, though, and I've just stopped buying them.
Does anyone know of a good aromatic with a nicotine kick? I've really enjoyed the taste of Captain Black's Red Sky, Lane 1Q, Sutliffe Vanilla Custard, etc.
I also love Lakeland tobaccos, which could certainly be described as aromatic, but I'm specifically thinking of an American style. Cherry, vanilla, maple, fruit kind of thing.
Any recommendations?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The short answer is No, not really. But you can always add some strong burley from C&D or some Five Brothers to an aromatic. Obviously, it won't taste as sweet and aromatic as before, but it will still taste like an aromatic.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I also love Lakeland tobaccos, which could certainly be described as aromatic
Only if your definition also includes laundry detergent, institutional disinfectant, urinal cakes, bug spray, and the inside of great-grandmother's purse.
That said (again, as it has been said before by many), there are two ways to get a high-nic aromatic:
1) Add a little (10%-20% by weight not more) black cavendish such as Lane's BCA to a strong natural blend like Royal Yacht or similar. That gives you predominantly quality tobacco with condimental flavoring/scenting. This is my preferred method, as it takes the bite out of Virginias without causing it to smoke wet and goopy. In fact I have even added a bit of BCA to Pease's Virginia Cream to tame down the Va bite and also the horrid peppery sensation of perique (which I wish they would leave out, it would then be a perfect blend IMHO).
2) Add 25%-30% strong, tasteless garbage burley with a nicotine whallop, like Five Brothers, to any aro. That will give you 100% garbage tobacco cased with syrupy flavoring, but for a nic fiend who enjoys Lakelands, none of that should bother you.

Mixes that I make are to add a pinch of Molto Dolce to some shaved Coconut Twist rope tobacco for a deeper, sweeter more satisfying aromatic coconut smoke.
And adding a flake of Firedance to some Newminster Blackberry Brandy. Firedance by itself is high nic, but light on the aromatic part. Mixing the two makes a mindblowing smoke.
Then there's Erinmore, but it's a very subtle aromatic, very very very...

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
You might try getting some good blending perique and adding it ("to taste" as the saying goes) to your current favorites.

@Cosmic Mike for Rob Firedance will be a lower nicotine blend as he's an ex-ciggie smoker like me. I smoked a few tins of the flake when I started smoking pipes and it satisfied me for a few hours. As I was smoking 10-12 cigarettes a day I had to smoke 4 bowls after work to get the satisfaction level. Now I am good in 1-2 bowls a day.
Chris :puffpipe:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Royal Yacht has that plum thing going on, so I think it qualifies as an aromatic despite its generous nicotine.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
As a Virginia lover I tried Royal Yacht with the idea of relaxing back and enjoying a mildly aromatic smoke. About five minutes into the smoke I realized that the nic hit was a bit too much for me. Liked the taste mind you but he heart rate increase was intolerable and lasted for about six hours. So if you want a reasonably aromatic smoke with lots of nicotine, this is your boy. As Michael mentioned, you can also add a bit of Molto Dolce to give a bit more sugar.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Wow, guys, thanks!
You've given me lots of good suggestions. I think I'm going to add Royal Yacht to my next order.
I've tried and liked most of the Gawith stuff. I have experimented with adding BCA to other blends. Sometimes it's real nasty, but it mixed surprisingly well with Old Dark Fired, so long as I kept it to only 10-20%. That's what I'm smoking today.
Thanks for the suggestions!

You can always go to the grocer and pick up some almond extract and whatever spices you like and turn a perfectly good tobacco into a... an aromatic. Just spray it on using some sort of spray bottle. Russ did a radio show where he talked about his beginnings in tobaccory staring at the grocers. If you're so inclined.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
I've always wondered this myself, and I see people ask it fairly frequently.
It seems like there is a demand, so it is just a matter of how casings/toppings interact with certain tobacco?
Quick question for the experts: what would happen if they cased/topped a really high nic non-aromatic blend with identical flavors to a classic aro like Lane 1Q?
Would it not absorb the flavoring? Really, something like Five Brothers is fairly tasteless to me. Would the flavors not absorb? Or would the process lower the nicotine content?

timpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Australia
I've recently discovered Samuel Gawith Celtic Talisman.

Its the best cherry blend I've tried. I noticed it has more nic than other aromatic blends.

Its not high nic probably medium, most aros are mild nic so this was an added bonus to me.
-Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.