Are There any Carey Magic Inch Fans Out There?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I have a meerschaum Carey Magic Inch that I inherited from my Dad, it's a pretty good smoker. The stem is a little cheap and it's kinda beat up, I would replace it if I could find a better one.
He loved this pipe and I have a lot of memories of him sitting in his recliner and smoking it in the evenings and watching the news after dinner, or while reading a newspaper.
It always sat next to his recliner, in this very same stand next to a tub of Prince Albert.
I occasionally pick it up and smoke a bowl of PA in it, while thinking of him.
Carey Meerschaum Pipe.jpg

MilesDavis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 16, 2022
I've come across these. I only have this one in circulation although I'm sure I have another somewhere... I cannot say it smokes any differently from other pipes.

20220723_024019711_iOS conv.jpeg

Attachments

• 20220723_025151750_iOS conv.jpeg
    20220723_025151750_iOS conv.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Puff nstuff

Bill Mac

Lurker
Jul 17, 2020
Michigan, USA
I still remember those E.A. Carey ads from the 1970s where you could try the pipe for 30 days and if you were not satisfied with the pipe for any reason you could smash it with a hammer and return the pieces for a full refund.

One day I decided to take up that offer and sent off for what I call my first real pipe. That was about 45 years ago. I still have and smoke that pipe as well as about 20 or so other Carey pipes.

I have others yet prefer the cool smoke of the Carey pipes. That first one took some time to get used to keeping lit since I never smoked anything but cobs until then.

I recall soon after I started smoking mine another engineer (back in the day when a person could smoke at work) came into our shop smoking a Cary billiard. My comment was nice pipe, I see it's an E. A. Carey. His reply was, yes, and a damn good pipe.

I took that as an endorsement of the brand because I knew him for years before that. He was a few years older than me, and he was an avid pipe smoker.

Here is the first one, and it's still going, and going, and going...
CareyPipe1.jpg