PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssavarimuthu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2016
For a few months now I've been looking at purchasing a new or used Bulldog pipe, preferably bent. Something that I noticed was that a majority of bulldog pipes are priced higher than the more common shapes.
Is there any merit to this, or am I just not looking properly? Any brand that I could look at specifically for less expensive Bulldogs?
Thanks!

A bulldog is just a shape, they can range in price just like any other shape, pending the maker. You can find some estate pipes on eBay that are affordable, but bent Bulldogs go quickly, especially squat bents. Straight saddle bullies can be found for $5-$500, pending the maker as well. There a ton more them around. But, you'll just have to keep an eye out.
But really, do you want just any bent bully? Does smoking quality matter? You may have to look within the $100+ range for something of quality.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
Some makers like Chris Askwith charge.more for the bulldog as it is anymore difficult shape to make. You don't want an bulldog. No one likes them then I have to dispose of them. These are not the pipe shape you are looking for. Move along, move along.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Man that was all jumbled. You can find inexpensive bulldogs out there from Peterson and many factory brands, but the ones with tighter tolerances and better carving skill will be more expensive. Give us your budget and we will try to help.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Tarheel that's a beautiful set.

I agree the better quality bulldogs usually bring top dollar but as has been said there are a number of good quality mid range bulldogs out there. Peterson and Savinelli both make good dogs with classic lines and at a moderate price. They don't stack up to the artisan made pipes but they are a decent pipe for what you pay. You can buy a new Peterson Aran 150 bulldog for a little over $100 almost anytime on Ebay and a good American made estate pipe for half that amount. Billkay is right, proportions are everything on a bulldog and so few really get it right.

Older British bulldogs always bring higher than average prices especially the lower volume brands. GBD and Comoy still have some in a reasonable price range ($50 - $100).

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I think it's just that some sellers would sell bulldogs at a highly inflated price due to how much demand there are. Normally it shouldn't be any more expensive than any other shape.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
These are not the pipe shape you are looking for. Move along, move along...

I see you've got one more to go now to finish the collection, eh?
Then what's next? The full one month set? Rotation of 30? Or perhaps a 7 day rotation for Virginia, a 7 day set for English, and a 7 day set for Aros?
(great looking set already)
:puffpipe:

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Well one is going to a friend and will leave me with 5. I might just get a 7 day set of Ferndown bent bulldogs, that way I can have as many of other brands as I want and not affect the numbers lol.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Are these pipes considered Bulldogs?

s-l500%2026_zpsd3yphrim.jpg

s-l500%2021_zpswtqsivyy.jpg

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
Is there a "rule" about the lines, though? Maybe it's just me, but a bulldog without one or two lines carved in it just seems like something else.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cosmic, in all my years of pipe smoking and collecting I have never owned a bulldog, which is kind of weird considering I do like the shape. Those 2 are from the Willmer collection I bought this past weekend and I was kind of looking forward to owning my first 2 bulldogs. I have never heard of a bullcap. Do the lines make it a bulldog and the diamond shank make it a bullcap? I own Rhodesians and they have no lines.

The lines don't matter, IMO. It's the shape and diamond shank. But, Personally I prefer there to be lines. I have been wanting to show off my collection, also. I keep cleaning them and then something would come up to keep me from taking pictures. I tend to look for variations and things that make all of mine different, more so than alike. Some of these artisans really push the envelope on what defines a bulldog.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Take the pictures without cleaning the pipes. Then you'll look at the pictures, scream, and take them again after cleaning the pipes. It's just a mathematical law of the universe that it must be this way.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ssav', you can find bulldogs in any price range. Most of those posted here are well into the mid- to high price range. If you are looking for a new, lower priced bulldog, take a look at pipesandcigars Stanwells; smokingpipes.com Chacoms and Butz-Choquin, and other French brands; and Iwan Ries Savenelli and others. Not just those brands, shop around, but they are certainly available. I bought a Stanwell straight shape 32 bulldog from PC recently, on sale, for I think it was $40. As others have stated, the bulldog shape is not more expensive than other shapes. The bent Stanwell bulldog is shape 191 (if I remember) and is available at under $100, sometimes well under that.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's an Iwan Ries, Savinelli example:
http://www.iwanries.com/BC-Cocarde-1024-P15293C128.cfm

Status
Not open for further replies.