Ardath Tobacco Co. of London - (Antiquarian Nicotiana Brittanica Vol. 16)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 31, 2012

U3lrtaV.jpg

XfSf4nf.jpg

UNOcijv.jpg

d6DD1gL.jpg

FhZmRfU.jpg

1iMeD5E.jpg

6JIGO1l.jpg

"As supplied to the house of Lords"
This edition gives a brief look to the rather famous house of Ardath.
State Express Works, 39-51 Worship Street, London
Founded 1895 at Leadenhall Street by Sir Albert Levy and was originally called Albert Levy & Thomas, and also traded under the name La Casa de Habana.
The name of the company was changed in 1901 to the Ardath Tobacco Company, and was split in 1925 when it was sold; British American Tobacco acquired the overseas rights of Ardath, while the Imperial Tobacco Group retained the rights of sale within the United Kingdom and Ireland.
In the United Kingdom, Ardath's brands endured, to the point where they were granted a Royal Warrant by King George VI in 1946.
In 1961, British American Tobacco bought out Imperial Tobacco's share of Ardath, thus gaining full control of Ardath's trademarks.
They are most noted for their finely made cigarettes, especially the 555 brand.

t3vqhwP.jpg

5aaYAm3.jpg

nGYtZ3Q.jpg

EDuV9IY.jpg

dg522Xs.jpg

HtKup7u.jpg

mP4zfa6.jpg

The most comprehensive history I've yet to find is this:

OHLRVij.jpg

SVSxjKa.jpg

R56b7dv.jpg

nbO3r4S.jpg

MspuyA9.jpg

Early on, they did make several different blends of pipe tobacco which were frequently advertised.

p7SEMdT.jpg

mpjP7oJ.png

OwUNPtA.jpg

OkwUSHy.jpg

su3p02U.jpg

iHzEsVv.jpg

mDBk3S2.jpg

ZnoDw9s.jpg

xHvdKV0.jpg

cLak4He.jpg

0A8O0S0.jpg

ur87Ww3.jpg

1KXDUes.jpg

8vJu80y.gif

A few tins...

TQNfqd3.jpg

qMNHOqe.jpg

bUlxoJT.jpg

6SGViiu.jpg

ePiCXyr.jpg

RKkbhUY.jpg

JsfcP9U.jpg

91YYYS2.jpg

YMvsxCL.jpg

PyByWMd.jpg

wcJS1U8.jpg

RGaOrtm.jpg

FTY3WCN.jpg

2baZefo.jpg

M2SCtx8.jpg

InIK8xj.jpg

BFX3aae.jpg

mgU7GO6.jpg

KZYEYlb.jpg

KDIkYsq.jpg

Now,

we're on to a more modern blend, an extremely high quality mixture that rivalled Balkan Sobranie.
Many pipesmokers still today can fondly recall it, as it was in production for a couple of decades.
It was State Express London Mixture.
Introduced in 1967 and made at the Ogden's factory for BAT.

Byq0nOa.jpg

lWasaAp.jpg

The early production tins were elaborate affairs which had a small tobacco leaf carefully placed on top, Xanthi I think?
And not only that, but an olde English penny was taped to the bottom for ease of convenience to aid opening.
I'm unsure how a company could afford to do such a thing, although it may have had something to do with the currency change-over because decimalisation was in swing at that time.
I'm unsure as to how long exactly they continued with that practice, but it must've made for a helluva presentation!
Sadly,

I could find no pics of either the olde penny or the leaf.
I'd love to hear descriptions or reminiscences from anyone who smoked this stuff!

Yxa6Rya.jpg

TjaMIEJ.jpg

6KEKAaq.jpg

qzt8u0B.jpg

mRj7Aqu.jpg

IEWBzx1.jpg

6UBnDiB.jpg

ft4jt1f.jpg

udF4A4j.jpg

In 1970, they introduced Roundels and Royal Navy Cut.
I haven't been able to find a pic of the Navy Cut.

QBW18R8.jpg

itP2Mj1.jpg

xAOTl4t.jpg

MljWs1C.jpg

Z6eSMtE.jpg

S5IuZck.jpg

fNFCtZS.jpg

HcTWWnj.jpg

qdIaBqB.jpg

agdDcFO.jpg

FJyE2eH.jpg

cDj9Nou.jpg

a7xCWeu.jpg

Np2cLdg.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Nice presentation as always, misterlowercase. This was what I was talking about in the "hobbyist" thread, where a collision of pipe smoking and interest in history can make for an enthusiast, not just a smoker. Excellent work!

May 31, 2012
Bumping in a vain attempt of hoping that someone here will post their personal recollections of smoking State Express London Mixture (or the Roundels),

as I'm very interested in hearing suchwise stuff.
:puffy:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Once again I'm gonna call on Kevin to create a stand-alone board to hold MrLC's research threads.
THEY ARE UNIQUE ON PLANET EARTH that I know of. (at least in English)
I talk to Greg Pease and Mike & Mary McNiel regularly, and THEY are astonished by the depth and quality of this stuff.
The "thread rot" that forum designers built into their products in the early days of the Internet is deadly for material like this.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
ANOTHER MASTERPIECE of research. Thank you very much. Both for your time and willingness to share. I second George's proposal. I think there should be a place where these are kept so anyone can get to them whenever they might need/want to.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Another magnificent post by the Minister. Thanks for bumping...I missed it the first time. I love the warning on the label about cheap, machine made cigarettes.

Status
Not open for further replies.