PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
lol, my bottle bought at Christmas of 2017 is also 62. Good stuff. It is strong stuff though, so you may need to cut it with a little bit more water than usual, depending on your taste.

Dec 24, 2012
And by the way, for cheap(er) single malts, the 12 year Aberlour is tough to beat. Don't hesitate to pick up a bottle of that if you see one.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Don't hesitate to pick up a bottle of that if you see one.
If you see most any decent sms , especially well aged , consider the purchase . They do run out and once it’s gone , it’s gone .

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Not sure about ballentine's, but all the rest are very good drinks. Drink in good health !

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Very nice! With the arrival of Fall, I treated myself to a bottle of Stagg Jr., a barrel proof bourbon that I was lucky enough to find sitting on the shelf at my liquor store. I always have a bottle or two of Buffalo Trace, Elijah Craig, or Evans Williams Single Barrel open for a drink after work, or several on the weekends. It's also nice to keep some premium bourbon and a bottle of good single malt on hand to drink on special occasions... such as Fridays :puffy:

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
You inherited a pension? How does that work?
Dad was given 2 options on his pension. One was a long term smaller monthly payment and one was a larger monthly payment for a shorter term with rights of survivorship to his estate. Dad chose option two and passed before the term was up so I inherited the payments until the end of the term.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
If you see most any decent sms , especially well aged , consider the purchase .
At the risk of everyone finding out just how good this stuff is and therefore driving up prices and availability, I present to everyone my regular:
iu

This is a sherried Scotch with little smoke and of excellent quality.
The review that caused me to try it:
Nose: Meaty, sherried nose with lots of dark red plum, chewing tobacco, and a savory quality – like glazed short ribs. Lots going on under the surface – thankfully not too sweet nor too fruity. Just right, in fact. After developing in the glass, there’s a little Maraschino cherry, and maybe some wood varnish.
Palate: Medium-bodied and mellow. Initially there is a rush of cherry and a rye-like spiciness, which subside into barbecue sauce, dried plums, coconut butter, and dark chocolate shavings.
Finish: Not long, but tasty. The lingering effect of the wood tannin dries the mouth, while a burnt sugar taste like cola persists, but isn’t bitter. After awhile the malt finally shines through, with a marshmallowy powdered-sugar-covered cereal flavor. Good stuff.
A few drops of water seem not to affect the nose, palate, or finish. Odd, that. I suggest leaving out the water, although it might sweeten things a tad, if that’s how you prefer it.

Dec 24, 2012
That JWB Ghost & Rare does sound awesome, and seems to have been reviewed very well to boot.
https://thewhiskeywash.com/reviews/whisky-review-johnnie-walker-blue-label-ghost-rare/

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Thanks for the recommendation, shanez. Though I had drank various scotches before and enjoyed them, I fell in love with scotch only after friend introduced me to Islay style a couple years ago, but now I'd like to branch out and try some other styles.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Looks like you have a solid week of whisky there! I've spent half my money on whisky, beer, pipes, tobacco and women. The rest I just wasted (thanks W.C. Fields).

Status
Not open for further replies.