Apart from Wrong Techniques, What Can Cause Many Relightings?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Dry tobacco? Bad tobacco? Badly constructed pipe? What?
If one does all the right techniques to minimize relighting, what may be going wrong?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The fire goes out. I relight when that happens. Of course I've only been smoking a pipe for 50+ years. You've answered your own question in your thread title ... technique. I suppose other than technique if someone turns a hose on you, a rain storm, Act of God? Damned if I know.

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
Perhaps some of these questions are more appropriately asked in the New Pipesmoker Questions forum...
A little over a year ago, I was very much like you. I had a million questions, and I wanted to absorb every little bit of information about pipe smoking.
I asked a few questions, got some good answers.
Eventually, I learned that all the questions that I asked were answered by themselves in short order through experience.
I'm not trying to demean you. By all means ask whatever questions you have.
Just know that as you smoke more, and develop your technique, you will answer your own questions in due time.
I worried about relights at first, and when I heard of competitions where people were going for upwards of 45 minutes to an hour with 3 grams and not relighting, I assumed I was doing something wrong.
Don't worry about it. Relight it as many times as you need. A few months from now, you will be relighting a lot less, and not even realize it. You will figure out your technique, and without any training or internet instruction, you will become an expert in smoking a pipe the way you want to.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Thanks for the answers.
But I'd like to know if a tobacco that is too dry may be have to be relighten more often.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Causes of multiple relights: toby that is too wet, packing too tightly, packing too loosely, poor tamping technique (tamping is an art form in itself).

well, I have found that lighting my pipe with a microwave will melt the stems long before the tobacco burns, and you always have to smoke close to an electrical outlet. :puffy:
No, really, relights are ok, especially while you are building your skills at all of this. I started off using matches, and I went through boxes of the things till I got my cadence down.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
When I was starting out (I feel like I still am sometimes) I would worry too much about relights and it was distract me from the pipe experience.
Once I started to dry out my tobacco a bit, and breathe slower, I had fewer relights. But I don't worry about them anymore.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Proper moisture of the tobacco is important. Not too dry and not too moist. Over time you will learn that. As stated above, the tamping and packing techniques also develop over time. Don’t over analyze and make sure you enjoy yourself

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I love when we tell a new guy about packing, cadence, tobacco moisture, breathing, etc., then cap it off with "don't over analyze it". I mean, I know what you mean, but a new guy's gotta think, "These guys are are all nut jobs!". :rofl:

eggrollpiper

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2018
Nutjob reporting for duty! Your problems I would blame it on bolsonaro. Seriously though it's not bad to relight, there's so many factors, and I wouldn't assume that one's doing all the right techniques. It's depends where and from whom your finding your info. And there's really no one right way. There's a learning curve and you really leearn by doing so if you enjoy it and stick with it you will find your way.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
There's no doubt that some tobaccos and cuts burn more readily. Don't stress to much about it. If you read through jiminks' reviews on tobaccoreviews.com, you'll notice that he'll frequently mention that a blend needs a few or several relights. He has written nearly 2200 reviews, so I trust he's an expert pipe smoker. Even experts have to relight.

Status
Not open for further replies.