PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Just finished my first bowl. Love it.
When I discover something new I like to sample around the blend to see if there is something i would enjoy as much or more.
Any suggestions close to royal yacht?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
There is really nothing similar to the Murray's era Royal Yacht that I've ever found. However, Brigham's Hudson's Bay was actually made to emulate Dunhill's Royal Yacht and is quite similar to the new Orlik version Royal Yacht. Frankly, I like it much better.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I've never tried Royal Yacht figuring I would be overwhelmed. However, I have smoked some tins of Hudson Bay and really liked it. It didn't put any hair on my chest though.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
I love the current RY...
Really wish that I could find a tin or two of the Murray's to sample. I get confused with all the changes in blenders, and while I have been enjoying RY for a number of years, I don't know that I've ever experienced the original.
That said, what I have always known as RY is an exceptional VA that ages beautifully.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
So it sounds to me that I should buy a bunch to age and that mso489 should buy a fresh tin and try it asap! (And keep aging the one in his cellar)

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I lucked out and bought a 5 pack and they're from 2011, so I got a good headstart on the aging process. Still haven't popped any and haven't even tried Royal Yacht, only the Brigham version. It makes me want to pop a tin but I'm thinking this is a good fall blend so I'll probably wait until then.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I never liked RY and hope to never find another like it. :)
For those that do enjoy it, you have my respect and I hope you find many like it.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've got 5 unopened cellophaned tins of (modern day) Royal Yacht and no intention of ever smoking it again. At first I liked it, then I didn't, then I did, then I didn't. That time the "didn't" stuck :)

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
dunhill royal yacht is a good "medium" blend which is slightly aromatic. i would compare it to EMP, except it's a little sturdier on the back-end. i suppose it's one that could grow on a person. i have found that most people either love it or hate it. and, then there are those who revisit it and enjoy it. i do like it for a change, but won't go out of my way to smoke it. i have found that the flavor will linger in a bowl, so for first-timers, you might want to try it in a cobb to see if it's something you like.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
i would compare it to EMP
Royal Yacht? I don't think I could make that comparison.
EMP has enough Turkish / Orientals and Latakia to detect both throughout the smoke, RY does not.
Also, RY has a topping many describe as "plum", EMP does not.
This is all IMHO and YMMV :puffy:

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If Pipestud has chimed in and stated there's nothing quite like it except the brigham match then there's your answer. However you should try some of the stronger flakes like Peterson Irish flake, University flake, Macbaren's Old dark fired etc... Even though they aren't the same you may enjoy the strength of them.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I'm going for strong. just ordered ten Russians, montford point maine, university flake,bayou night ,haunted bookstore, haddos delight,habana daydream, crooner, billybudd, pure perique, and lakita forgive spelling

Status
Not open for further replies.