Anyone want to share pics of their tobacco cellar?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
Hey all, having just started the collecting and building of my tobacco cellar a month or so ago, I'd love to see pics of any cellars people are willing to share...both to gaze and admire, and gain some inspiration along the way!
I know this has been done before but all the threads/pics I found were a few years old, or were pipe racks that happened to contain some jars of tobacco, I'd love to see the real deal cellars that everyone appears to have been building for years and even decades from what I understand :puffpipe:
I will photograph and share my fledgling collection of almost 20 blends and 4 pipes once they are properly jarred and ready for the duration...as long as you all promise not to laugh at my small measly collection :lol:

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
No laughing, sir! We all started somewhere, and not all of us have guesthouses dedicated to our tobacco stockpiles. It sounds like you're off to a good start. I've been meaning to get photos taken of my cellar, but once my wife puts something away, I'm not allowed to touch it. I have about, maybe, 2-3 totes worth.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Here is mine, I acquired this old cabinet from my church where it was sitting in a storage room. some of the members were discussing turning it into firewood, so I saved it with the intent of filling it with pipes and tobacco's.

:roll:What you see is a result of about 3.5 years of PAD & TAD, and yes I do have a problem. 8O

image12-450x600.jpg

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Very nice cabinet.
I'd show mine, but I don't think a bunch of moving boxes and Mason Jar cases would be of any visual interest.
...as long as you all promise not to laugh at my small measly collection

No one will laugh. We all started somewhere. :puffy:

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
@markthelad I love that! looks very organised and well laid out and I love the collection of pipes!! what's your favourite? or top 10?!
I've been working on cleaning mine up today so i can put photo up...it's so nice having some american tins that don't have the warnings on that we have over here in Europe!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Mine consists of a pile of plastic tubs stacked in one closet, a pile of tins stacked in another closet, and a bunch of jars, stacked in yet another closet, my taboret, on on my workbench. Not much to look at.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
what's your favourite? or top 10?!

@gandalfspipe, it would be very hard to pick a favorite pipe, or even a top 10. I have 40 of them right now and I try to rotate through them all. Some tobacco's smoke better in different pipes and only a few smoke good all of the time, regardless of what tobacco I put in them. my favorite smoker would be a Peterson's Fathers Day 2014 Special Edition XL90, it always smokes good.

I actually love all of my Pete's, but something about that one is special, maybe because it was my first Pete.

Peterson pipes can be very good, but I always want to see them in person when buying one, just to insure the draft hole is drilled correctly and that it has no defects. They can be flawed pipes sometimes, but if you're careful you can get a really special Peterson pipe. When they are good, they are very good.

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
wow @markthelad 40 pipes! that's awesome! i'm aiming for something like that...one day! I'm very happy with my Peterson so far too, unfortunately I had to order online due to living and working in romania but thankfully it turned out ok...next time i'm back home in the motherland (England) i'll be aiming to go and buy a few pipes in person...definitely want some more petes...I'd like to try the Sherlock Holmes line next...do you tend to dedicate your pipes to a blend, or smoke specific types of blends in different pipes? i'll be honest with having just a a few pipes at the moment I'm smoking all kinds of blends in the same pipes (I am making sure I rest them after each smoke though...)

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
@gandalfspipe, I do dedicate some pipes to certain blends, sometimes because the pipe likes a specific blend more than others, or because I smoke a few lakeland blends and have pipes dedicated specifically to those. A lot of my pipes are more dedicated to types of blends, like Va/Per's, Lat blends and I have a few dedicated to aro's as well.

Glad you got a good Pete, I don't have a Sherlock Holmes Pete yet, but it's definitely on the PAD list.

Many of the pipes in my stable are not new, but estate pipes that I have either inherited or purchased off of Ebay. Estate pipes can be very good smokers and a good value if you bid smartly. It's also a good way to build up your stable.

What type of blends do you enjoy?

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'll bite. Probably only about six pounds of tobacco here but I only smoke once or twice a day!

This is in my bomb shelter/shop with concrete ceiling and walls. It's under a mid-century ranch house.
cellar_zpskwa18hbf.jpg

pipedreams86

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2016
@markthelad thanks for the advice on the estate pipes! I have to admit I've been a little wary of the estates (it's probably because I'm new to the hobby)...I love history, and the thought of a pipe's history, and who used it/where is something I love...think I just have to get over the initial thought of it spending a lot of time in somebody else's mouth! ;) this is probably a silly question but are there better brands for estates? i.e. where older Petes or Dunhills, etc the best? or should I just look for whichever takes my fancy and is a good deal?
that's a great idea with dedicating pipes to blend types rather than specific blends...I wasn't sure I could afford to dedicate each pipe to an actual blend, but dedicating to blend types sounds very doable...I'm still very new to the hobby and am testing out every blend I can get my hands on over here in Ro...I ordered some dunhill's early morning pipe and night cap from USA that is coming next week, which i'm very excited to try based on all i hear about them! i also ordered some Sutliff Pumpkin spice which might be way sweet but I can't wait to try that too..locally i can mostly get hold of Peterson blends or samuel Gawith etc...so far I've tried some like Conneisseurs choice (LOVE IT!)...and I really like their Sherlock Holmes blend..the samuel Gawith Full Virginia flake is awesome...oh and I tried the Erinmore Balkan blend today which I liked a lot! do you have any good suggestions that I can try?
@tuold I love your cellar! looks awesome and that's a great place to store them! have you found your tobacco's taste better aged in their tins or stored in mason jars? see a lot online of differing opinions on which is better...

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@gandalfspipe
have you found your tobacco's taste better aged in their tins or stored in mason jars? see a lot online of differing opinions on which is better...
I only started cellaring about three years ago and haven't opened any of the tins or jars yet!
To the right of the tobacco shelves is my pipe workbench. Inside this concrete shelter there is a framed/finished and heated room with a comfy chair that serves as my smoking room. It's only about 9'X12' but it serves my purposes. Keeps me and my wife happy =)

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
My lovely Province of Alberta has a wonderful law that states any individual with more than 2000 grams of tobacco "must" have a tobacco retailers licence.
So, even if "I had" a cellar of any significance, I would not be allowed to display it publicly.
I do, however, enjoy looking at other people cellars / stashes!

Status
Not open for further replies.