PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I didn't see a previous thread about this, so apologies if there was a previous one.
So several years ago I created an account on TobaccoCellar.com to help keep track of tins in my tobacco cellar, and mason jars I had open and smoking from. At the time I had a small cellar, and minimal open jars so it didn't take long to add all my tobaccos. I haven't used this site in a few years, and tonight I logged in and updated my cellar and added about 75% of my tinned tobacco to my online cellar. What I found in doing so is that there are many popular tobacco's that I can't find in the database. For example McClelland's Christmas Cheer stops at 2012, other blends like GL Pease Gas Light, MacBaren HH Latakia Flake, Samuel Gawith Cabbies Mixture are not in the database that I can find.
I find it odd that these very popular tobacco blends are not in their database. With as many people that seem to use this website regularly; one would think that these popular tobaccos and many more would have already been added to their website by either moderators and/or forum members. I find it hard to believe that so many tobacco's still haven't been added to this website. Has anyone come across this issue when using this website? I have about 40 tins I still need to add, and I would really hate to have to add all the information for these tobacco's if I don't have to.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just keep a hard copy manifest of my collection. I use the internet for little more than an online shopping center.

Reactions: badbriar
I had mine in an iPhone app (PIPE TOOL), which I think was made by a forum member (I think the same one who made that website). But, in my last phone OS update, it wiped out the app, and I lost the whole database. So, now I am setting on way over 300 lbs of tobacco with no idea what the inventory is.
I had thought about using the website, but after my ordeal with the makers of that phone app just giving up on it, and no easy way to transfer the data, I am tempted to just use pen and paper. I would be furious if I added all of that tobacco, and then they just leave it to die, like they did with the app.
There were so many new blends added in these last few years, that I had to key into the app almost everything I had been buying the last few years.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Like Michael is used Pipe Tool and was left high and dry. So I entered my cellar into an super simple Excel spreadsheet. Once I had everything in it I printed it and set it on a shelf in my tobacco cabinet. I track anything I take out of the "cellar" with a pencil and anything that goes into the cellar the same way (going in really isn't much anymore) and once a month or so I simply update the Excel spreadsheet and then print that. Super simple.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Cosmic, oh believe me, I'm the same, but I had my son make me a super easy to fill in one. I still barely know how to use it, but it works.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In the distant past, PipesMagazine provided blog space for members. I wrote a few pieces, and enjoyed several blogs written by others. In time, I realized that I could utilize the space to store URLs, which made it convenient to link other posters to relevant information. This represented a big investment in time and effort; and to my dismay, it completely evaporated one day when Kevin disabled the feature. Since then, I do not rely on other's resources to store valued data.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Exponentially more reliable than any electronic record keeping.
5065046259_9ce1285dc7.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I had thought about using the website, but after my ordeal with the makers of that phone app just giving up on it, and no easy way to transfer the data, I am tempted to just use pen and paper.
Or just use Excel, which exports CSV, or any analogue thereof.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Tobacco Celler is a nice program because it keeps track of all sorts of data. It automatically tracks the age of each of your tins and open jars. It can track when you open a tin and finish a tin, it calculates what percentage of your cellar is aged 10+ yeas, 5 years, 4 years etc., and keeps track of what percentage of your cellar is Latakia/Oriental blends or Burley blends or Virginia/Perique blends etc. It also allows you to enter a date that you placed the tobacco in your cellar in addition to the date the tobacco was actually tinned by the manufacturer, and the price you paid and the place you purchased it from. Overall it's a pretty cool program/database and I know is widely used; I just thought it was weird that some very popular tobacco's which have been out for a while have not been added previously. Just thought it was very strange.

Wasn't it made by the same forum members that did the Pipe Tool app?

If so, what worries me in what you say about tobaccos not being updated is that they'll just abandon the site, like they did their app. It still leaves me angry that the App was abandoned, no matter what their reason for it was. They could have at least given us a way to transfer our inventory. But, the print and email functions were the first to go, when the just left it.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I also use Excel and while it doesn't give me the grouped info Metalhead is referring to it's easy to set up if you wanted it to do that.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
yaz, your're back. Nice to see you post again.
I tried using tobaccocellar when I first learned of it. I lasted about 5 minutes before I gave up. I have no patience for that kind of mind numbing work. When I kick, my kids can figure out what the hell I have.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
I remember there was a thread here - probably in the last year - about Tobacco Cellar going dark. I don't know how long it was down, but it was cause of concern for many.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Well, I hope the site doesn't go abandoned but if it does I can always revert back to pen and paper. I don't mind that kind of stuff as I like keeping track of data and stats, but yes it can get mind numbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.