Search on Site

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
I just bought this pipe from tobaccopipesjapan.com. It is by Kim Jong Wook, who is South Korean. I was unfamiliar with his work, but stumbled on it while looking for something else. I was quite taken by the crossgrain and birdseye, plus found it to be a graceful and modern riff on an egg. I see that he has had a table at the Chicago Pipe Show, which is a big commitment for someone from South Korea, so I am betting his work is solid.
Have any of you owned and smoked a Kim pipe? I am curious about feedback, especially since I have a one week window to cancel my order due to Japanese holidays.

mikefu

Preferred Member
Mar 28, 2018
Colorado Springs
Nice one, Hoosier! I’ve never heard of them, but now want one, not only because it’s a beauty, but also so I can call it my “Wookie.”

condorlover1

Preferred Member
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I wasn't aware that the leader of North Korea had a side gig making pipes. I know they need hard currency but a Dear Leader pipe? I am not sure how that would play in China!

brian64

Preferred Member
Jan 31, 2011
The North Korean version:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/a-crappy-smoke

mso489

Preferred Member
Feb 21, 2013
Outstanding materials, fabulous grain, and exquisite design/shaping. What an eye for proportion and balance. If that ain't art.

ernieq

Aug 9, 2018
Hmmmm...I once knew a werewolf who was looking for a pipe by Kim Jong Wook. (Some of the more enlightened among us will get the reference).

craiginthecorn

Preferred Member
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
You get some really incredible pipes, Banjo! Congratulations on another one.
My Kim arrived last week. It seems well-made and is as beautiful as hoped. The interior of the bowl is as smooth as my 80s unsmoked James Upshall pipes. Whether that matters in the smoke, I doubt, but it speaks to the attention to detail. The mouthpiece is excellent and has a wide open draw. It's been nicely opened through the narrow portion of the bit. The draft hole is a little lower in the bowl than I would have preferred, so I'm reserving judgement until I have an opportunity to break her in. The walls are quite thick. For my money, a slightly larger chamber would have been a better choice to achieve lighter weight and more capacity. I'd estimate the size as .72”. It came in a very Asian bright white leather sock and a lovely box with custom foam packaging inside.
I'm looking forward to hearing your assessment, Banjo!

alexj52

Sep 26, 2018
I'm South Korean, and he's considered the best pipe maker in my country (although there are less than 10 commercial makers lol). I heard in a Korean pipe community that he uses Mimmo briar. He has a personal blog I can direct you to, maybe buying directly from him may be cheaper.