Anyone know who makes OVTC's Old Virginia Flake???

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
I am a fairly new smoker, less than two years, but I am finding my tastes are leaning away from aromatics to more traditional non aromatics. I bought a couple of ounces of Old Virginia Tobacco Company's Old Virginia Flake and find it very enjoyable. Thing is I am on very limited budget right now and possibly for the foreseeable future and would like to buy more to cellar and enjoy but it's a bit pricey. I would like to find if the same blend is available elsewhere or if it is totally proprietary something close to it but less expensive. I am open to any good quality Virginia that could be cellared that wouldn't break the bank...I do have some unopened tins of some aromatics I would even consider for trade.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
http://www.cupojoes.com/on-sale/ Cup O joes has #6 Skookum on sale right now, 7.95, buy one get one free, so that's about 4$ for 50 grams, it's a straight Va, never tried it but at that price you can't go wrong.

newfie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2015
Shearstown, NL
OVTC is, to the best of my knowledge, the sole distributor for this blend (which I enjoy), but I've not come across another blend with a similar mild topping.
Their price for that blend is actually not that bad considering it's a small quantity blend. For the sake of a few bucks for 8 ozs, I'd buy some, which I will on my next trip south.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
So far Hawke the closest I have found to Tobacco Brownies is G.L. Pease Gaslight LOL!!! Looks like brownies and smokes very nicely.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
I can tell you conclusively it is McClelland bulk tobacco. I've known many of the fellas who work at those stores over the years and you can get that stuff anywhere and at good prices, as I'm sure you know. Good luck to you!

seadogontheland

Oct 4, 2014
Most of these bulks are from the big boys, very few operations actually get something custom made. They might tell you otherwise, but that's not the truth. It's understandable they want to keep a lid on top of that information. Makes sense and its cool to seem mysterious and exclusive to their store. But yeah absolutely sure it's McClelland and that's a good tobacco, so enjoy.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
Well seadogontheland I suspected something like that and you are very correct indeed. I noticed the scent as being a bit "ketchup like" as has been noted by many when referring to McClelland's Virginia's and that made me think you are right. But I recently had it confirmed from an impeccable source that you are absolutely correct. I am just not sure which particular one.
I have also found the root of at least two more of their blends.
One I have not found is the source of their London Knight which is a nice English style blend that I find a good daily smoke.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
One I have not found is the source of their London Knight which is a nice English style blend that I find a good daily smoke.

Probably McClellend's also, most likely #5110 dark full english. Pretty much every bulk at my local B&M is McClellend's renamed.

draco

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2014
Turns out that OVTC London Knight is actually Altadis/Sutliff 502
Also known in the past as Consolidated 502 and reviews are available at

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1646/consolidated-502-medium-english
Also OVTC Checkmate is Lane 1-Q

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Hehe, well, now you get to explore the McC bulks to find your match.
Here are a few cheapish, bulk VA flakes with a light topping that I enjoy:
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake

Newminster Superior Navy Flake
If you like a bit of perique, your options multiply.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
I have not tried OVTC's Old Virginia Flake, but I browsed through the bulk McClelland flake offerings (there aren't that many) on P&C and McClelland No. 2010 Classic Virginia seems to close to what you describe.
No. 2010 Classic Virginia is aptly named, and this has become a standard-bearer for those who enjoy a Virginia flake but hate the high cost of tins. Flue-cured tobaccos from yellow to light red are combined and pressed to develop the natural flavor of the leaf. It's then sliced for easy preparation. It's great right out of the pouch and becomes sublime with age.
pt-m4o0028.png

Status
Not open for further replies.