PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perique456

Lurker
May 14, 2019
Hi everyone, this looks like a good forum.
I am just starting out making bespoke furniture to sell, and I am always looking for ideas for products.
Recently I became aware of the existence of a piece of furniture called a 'Pipe Cabinet' or 'Smoker's Cabinet'.

Here is an example:
e46b36fe-91c9-413f-9382-6b7c6022721d.jpg

I believe such a piece of furniture consists of folding pipe racks, drawers and compartments to hold tobacco, and storage of pipe tools and all the other items required for pipe smoking.
So I wanted to try gauge interest in a pipe smoking cabinet by asking on here whether this is a product that you guys would be interested in. What do you think? Do any of you have a pipe cabinet and is it something you find useful and an nice piece of furniture?
Thank you very much for any feedback.

perique456

Lurker
May 14, 2019
Thanks for the replies,
Yep I thought it might be a bit 'overkill' for modern-day pipe smokers, but was just curious to ask.
Ah well, got some other projects.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
I dont think it would be Overkill, just not cost effective. I know my modest pipe and tobacco collection would not fit

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
You come across these fairly often in antique shops. I purchased one a few years back that I found interesting. It was meant as a traveling smokers cabinet complete with its own folding stand/table meant to fit in a steamer trunk or with one's campaign furniture.

juliusmaximus

Lurker
May 4, 2019
The main thing would be a combination of looks/space/capacity.

I looked around and didn't find anything that satisfied all three. Ended up making my own from different products.
Should at least hold 8-12 pipes, 5 or so cans or jars, and be compact.
I posted a picture if my project in the previous thread

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I think they are interesting as an antique, but personally I just don't have room for something like that.

Ditto.
Personally, I don't see the point of cabinets/racks with a jar of tobacco. I'm not a one-blend-only man, and the drawers and 'extra' room for accoutrements wouldn't hold my bags of cleaners or boxes of filters.
I'm a fan of this kind of pipe-holding contraption:
Alberichs_Pfeifen_04AD18.jpg

which can sit nicely in basically any shelf.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Olkofri,
Nice collection.....of books! LOL I've got a complete collection of Poe myself. Also, Machen's "The White People" is an exquisite read. I've got it in paperback and audiobook format.
Nice collection of pipes too.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Olkofri, If mine were displayed like Yours here I'd guess half of my pipes were dropped on the floor in pretty short order,I'm clumsy bastard.(If my memory serves right,so far had total two to three snapped tenons and two broken shanks)knocking on the wood,

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Been dreaming up a project of this nature to build myself. Basically a chest of drawers (for tobacco jars/tins), one thinner drawer at the top for tools, then a table top for loading/packing, and above that a backwards canted rack of pipe display cubbies lined with green felt. Hoping to start on it this weekend.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
That looks great. I would have a use for that but would like more pipe holding space. I would like a wall mounted cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.