PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
Ps. I love Philly but I've spent 32 years there.

I would highly suggest it for other people though.

It's a great town.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
I have quite a few on both forearms, But I just got my latest one last Thurs.
My Grandfather was part of the Polish resistance movement in WWII, He was captured helping Jewish Families hide from the Nazi's. We was sent to Auschwitz for the duration of the war. When the camp was liberated he was 23 and weighed 70 Lbs and one lung lighter. He went on to raise a family, have a amazing life as a self employed tool maker till he was 60 then retired for many years till he was 82.
Not paying real attention as a kid to the numbers on his arm, I knew what they were from but I could not remember which numbers they were. After a couple years of emailing back and forth with the Museum at Auschwitz I was able to track it down, Then for the past couple weeks trying to come up with a design that was simple yet respectful.
416e01885d8011e2b06022000a9e289e_7.jpg

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
wow damnyak thats so effen cool. What do the "s"'s mean. I love how you've turned something really horrible, painful and scarring into art. That's why I started this thread because many people's tatoos have some seriously deep meaning. Thanks for sharing that damnyak,

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
To think to have the courage to want to survive through that, then to come out and live a full life and finally pass away 21 grand-kids strong. Ever since I was old enough to understand the concept of what he went through, I thought to myself, "well, I really cannot say anything is "hard". can I?"
but anyhow.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I have 10. I did 7 of them myself. Here are a couple of the ones I did. I'm a lot better than this work reflects. Doing these is how I practiced and I did them upside down and sideways on my body so it was very difficult.
37566_145303152147522_404763_n.jpg
411900_468950326449468_458830331_o.jpg
474497_467616066582894_1328795350_o.jpg

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I'll have to have my spouse get a shot of the shieldknot on my left shoulder. I've drawn up a Thor's Hammer design that I'd love to shrink down and get done on the right - at its current size, it would be a decent back piece, but really painful (down the spine and across the lower back - right where all the nerves are...)

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I have a celtic knot on my left shoulder/upper arm, an outline of Michigan on my anlkle (which I actually got in Detroit on my trip to johnnyxpipe's wedding, and my pièce de résistance - a quarter sleeve (and planned to be growing) spanish motif in the painterly style of a matador and a bull.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
damnyak, I agree 100% with your comments. We really dont have many bad days compared to some people right? I learned that lesson first hand with I visited Cambodia for 15 days. My next tat will be something to do with Cambodia. But you've inspired me on this Pain to Art idea. Thank you.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
shawn622 - wow dude. How the EFF do you tattoo yourself. That's intense man.
austinxpipe - do you have pics? Would love to see them. Do you live in Austin? Thats my favorite place in the universe.

Jul 15, 2011
Ive got a dragon head on my right forearm that was a gift for my high school graduation from my father, you can kind of see part of it in my avatar pic. I also have Megadeths mascot, Vic Rattlehead, tattooed on my left bicep. Those are my only two right now and I dont think I have pics anywhere. I will have to dig around and see if I can find some.

juptierspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2013
Illinois
Thread resurrection. I just got this Hercules tattoo from Noah Minuskin out of Lowrider tattoo studio in Cal. I started it in April and am heading back in August to go over it with one more pass to set in all the black and to start the other side of my are with the lion that Hercules so notoriously took down.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Tattoos used to be not quite socially acceptable, done by carny roustabouts and sailors, mostly,

so as a fleet sailor, I seriously considered it. Use to review the sketches at various parlors in

sailor towns from Hong Kong to San Diego and beyond. Looked at the work crew members had

done. In those days, it wasn't usually a serial experience, pretty much one or two to a customer.

(My wife has a cousin who had a long and somewhat famous career as a tattoo artist in the

Chicago area, though he grew up in Missouri; he had a long career as a senior enlisted man in

the U.S. Army.) I had in mind an anchor and a rose high on my bicep. But eventually, I decided

I didn't want to look at the same piece of art forever, every shower and shave, the rest of my life.

I'm visually restless. When tattoos came back big time for a much wider demographic, I didn't think

they looked so great on "mature" adults, so I'll pass.

ugh457

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 28, 2013
Brantford, Ont.
My wife and I got a small tattoo of this ... without the text though.
celtic-knot.jpg

I call it my intro to tattoos, just to see if I could stand the pain, lol. I would now like to get another!127

Last edited:

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013

All 3 are on my right arm. Bible verse is on the inside of upper arm. 1st was Jan 2010, 2nd was Dec 2010, 3rd was Jul 2011
considering a 4th. just hard to place it since I'm already so hairy! They might be covered up by the time I'm 40. the 4th will have to wait, however.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
pics didn't post, but they are on my profile, in case you'd like to see

Status
Not open for further replies.