Anyone Familiar With James Barber Tobacco Merchant in the UK?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
They don't ship tobacco leaf products to the US but I emailed and asked about a pipe and how much shipping would be if they do sell pipes to the US. I received a prompt response stating they would indeed sell/ship a pipe to the US and I could put the pipe in my cart and have the site calculate shipping for me.
When I add a pipe to my cart while using Firefox, I get a blank tab. It show information in the address bar but it's just a blank tab that I get. I changed to Chrome and got one of those "this domain may be available for sale" tabs after putting a pipe in my cart.
Now I'm a little concerned to say the least. The website shows their physical address as: 20-24 Westgate, Otley, West Yorkshire, LS21 3AS
Any input would be appreciated.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I have ordered several times from them, with no issues. Their “b” line pipes are wonderful for the price.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I too have ordered several times, without issue.

Also note the price you see will be reduced by 20% if you are in the USA as all listed prices include VAT.
Don

timelord

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2017
Gallifrey
Shanez. I'm not familiar with them but I just tried their website [www.smoke.co.uk] (firefox om a mac) and had no problem adding a pipe to my basket. Clicking checkout took me to the screen requesting address/payment details so I think the site is working (I bailed out at the point).
I'm running firefox with duckduckgo installed which pretty much blocks all trackers and tracking cookies and has a similar effect to that you first described for some sites but no problems with this one. No problem opening the site in Chrome either.
Perhaps you could give it another try?

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Thanks all.
I discovered their website while googling something. It appears the address that showed up while googling is a former domain (pipe-boutique.com) or something along those lines. If I type the address in manually it automatically redirects after a few seconds. The redirect doesn't work right when using Google.
In other news, I bought a new pipe today. :mrgreen
Savinelli Oscar Tiger 305KS Rusticated:
SAV28-305.jpg

cachimbero

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2019
Cordoba, Spain
A great company. Recommended. I have bought many times from them in the past for the last 25 years. One of the first places where I bought pipe related material on the web.

Mar 1, 2014
Smoke.co.uk
After Canada Customs started charging Tobacco Tax on Briar from the U.S. I only buy pipes exclusively from the EU and U.K. now.
James Barber and PipeDivan are my go-to shops.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Frozen, Customs does not and cannot charge "tobacco tax" on briar - if you have been so charged, you can submit a claim against it and they'll pay you back.
They do charge GST, possibly PST, a handling fee, and duty if your import is over 400 Cdn, which adds up fast. But since tobacco is taxed by the gram, they would have had to weigh your pipe to assess it. I've never seen anything like that.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Okay, and that's fair enough but I would suggest you are no more likely to be charged incorrectly by CBSA on an import from USA than UK. I've bought pipes from England, Italy, and USA, and they were all treated identically.

Status
Not open for further replies.