Anyone Else Forget When They Began Smoking A Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For the longest time I thought I started in 2000. Then I came across a picture that was dated 1999 so I began saying I started then. I was just looking at older pipe pics and they were dated 1/1 1998. So obviously I began somewhere in 1997. I have no idea when in 1997 I began. It is interesting to see what pipes I had back then and how much different they are from what I smoke today.
So are there anyother brain dead people like myself who are clueless?

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Well, I have been many times accused of being both brain dead and clueless, cigrmaster. But, for some reason, I do remember when I first started smoking a pipe. But then, I guess most folks who had their tongues blistered to the point where they couldn't speak for a week and had to put their wagglers in a sling would probably remember such a day.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Stev, I am sure I burned the crap out of my mouth and tongue and you would figure that would be a memorble time, but I cannot even remember what tobacco I smoked. I do remember I was at my buddies cigar lounge when I tried it.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I don't remember the year, but it was when I was at university in the very early sixties. It struck me that women liked the odour of pipe smoke much more than that of cigars, which I smoked previously. I had enough problems pulling and needed all the help I could get.

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
I remember the exact day, the pipe and the blend. I also remember burning the dickens out of my tongue!

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
For me it was sometime in the fall of 1992... thats all I remember, don't remember the blend but I do remember the pipe as it was a cob that was lent to me,,, I went out the following week and bought my first pipe, a glorious no name basket 3/4 bent brandy that has turned into one of my favorite/best smokers to date.
damn... thats a lot of years of buying tobacco and whatnot! 8O

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Generally, but not to the day. It was just before or after my late wife and I bought our first house, 1978. I bought my first pipe at Tinder Box, and I think one early blend was North Sea, which I think is a Peter Stokkebye aromatic. Funny how big life events can block some memories from before, but linking the pipe to other life events, I remember it pretty well. Before that, in college and the Navy, I smoked inexpensive cigars, mostly Hav-a-Tampa and King Edward, and occasionally better celebratory stogies.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I still remember the first puff on a pipe ... it was my Uncle Frank's and was packed with Carter Hall, circa 1984.
My first pipes that I actually purchased, however, were not until 1991 ... a Dr. Grabow and a Cob with some CH and Capt. Black.
Ahhhh ... memories! :puffy:

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
2007, was on the town with some friends, got really drunk and woke up with a pipe with some cherry riff in my pocket. It was only till 2014 that I took up the pipe full time.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The summer of 1972 while on a lovely cruise inside the Arctic Circle off the coast of Alaska aboard a U.S. Coast Guard Ice Breaker. Ahhh! The good old days. Our small ships store even sold Borkum Riff and Captain Black and had a small selection of Dr. Grabows.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I can't remember the exact day, hell I'm not even 100% sure of the year sometime but I do remember the time in general. My first online pipe purchase was a Dr. G and I bought it from Frenchy. I miss Frenchy.

I didn't mark down the day, and didn't see it as a substantial day to remember. It's just smoking for god's sake. I also forget how old I am occasionally, how long I've had my truck or car, or even how long... of anything. Like I want to constantly remind myself that I am not "new" anymore? All I know is that I realized a year or so ago that I had been saying that I had been smoking a pipe for a few years, and I had been saying that for God only knows how many years, ha ha.

My wife is cool with me not remembering stuff. I told her when we married, whenever that was, not to expect too much from me in the remembering category. I don't do anniversaries and stuff like that. I'd prefer to just celebrate when something happens to make things better. As I get older, just riding this stupid planet around the sun doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment. Any moron could do it. Ha ha, just look at me.

bpftc

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2016
As I get older, just riding this stupid planet around the sun doesn't seem like much of an accomplishment. Any moron could do it. Ha ha, just look at me.
This is funny! I think I will use it.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I remember that it was July 4, 1971, but had to look up that date to recall that it was a Sunday. Fuzzy recollection of some drug store pipe & OTC pouch tobacco (I think it was a Yellow Bowl or Medico & maybe some type of cherry aromatic, Middleton's or Paladin).
However, my wife often asks me, "Did your IQ suddenly drop 100 points?". Then after my mouth drops open like a slack-jawed, mouth-breather, "Did you even have 100 points to lose?". Yeah, I feel like Rodney Dangerfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.