Anyone else feel wierd about smoking an estate pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobwills

Lurker
Jan 25, 2016
I recently purchased a few estate pipes on eBay. When I received them I cleaned them and started getting excited about smoking my new pipes. When I went to load a bowl in one of them I get a little wierd about it and went back to one of my pipes. I can't seem to want to smoke the estates that I purchased. I was wondering if anyone else has similar feelings with estate pipes

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
I was quite surprised myself at how easy-going people were about smoking used pipes.

I myself can not do it.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I smoke Estates all the time. What's weird about it? You're not smoking a cadaver's finger.
Did you clean the pipe? You're good to go.
I have pipes that are over 100 years old....I like to think about where they've been.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I can't do it either. We had a big huge thread about smoking dead mens' pipes awhile ago. It was difficult to communicate that the problem is not with fear of germs, but rather a visceral discomfort that transcends germiness altogether.

bobwills

Lurker
Jan 25, 2016
Yes! It's not germs it's something else that I can't explain. I have a friend who recently is getting into pipe smoking and he is buying estates and I think I will give them to him.

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
Not one bit. Most of my pipes are estates. Have you ever eaten at a restaurant? Do you think you're the first person to eat with that fork or drink from that glass? Same difference.
The pores in the stem must be filled with all kinds of stuff.

Not if the pipe has been properly cleaned.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have an Eltang Cutty and a Heeschen P that are both estates.
Neither creep me out and both were relative bargains.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
Precisely Piffyr, putting a restaurant fork in your mouth is exactly the same thing.
Looking at it from the other side. I quite like the idea that the pipes I enjoy now may be enjoyed by many other people, well into the future (for as long as they can source tobacco that is!).

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
No big deal for me. None of the effete posters ever eat at restaurants, no doubt. I am a germ-phobe and carry sanitizer around and go OCD with it. I have a few "pre-owned" pipes, clean them with Everclear and off I go. I am waiting until my 2021 birthday to fire-up my 1921 Dunhill, but not because I'm grossed-out by it.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The answer, then, is yes.
But quite the minority view. I have 30 or so estates, never a problem. OMG, now I am going to think about it all.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
The pores in the stem must be filled with all kinds of stuff.
This is really less of an issue than you think. Briar is incredibly dense and just doesn't absorb "gunk" to great degree; further, cleaning estate pipes and sanitizing them is a pretty simple process returning solid results.
Whenever the OP's question arises the folks who say, "No," to estate pipes seem to divide into to camps: Camp Creepy and Camp Gross. Since those are both personal determinations no one else should try to convince the believer otherwise. Frankly, I wish more of you would take on one of these perspectives to drive the prices of estates down, and the availability of hard to find shapes/makes up.
More than 2/3 of my pipes were estates when they came to me. All of my pipes, tobacco and shop equipment has been funded by the purchase, refurb and resale of estate pipes.
So, nope, I do not find smoking an estate pipe weird at all.
-- Pat

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
It sounds like what you find weird is the same thing that I find enticing. The story behind the pipe and where it has traveled is a mystery to me. I like to dream about the history when I find a sweet pipe that is almost a hundred years old already. Once it's cleaned up, I can't wait to smoke it.

hakchuma

Jan 13, 2014
Sorry but I wouldn't eat at a restaurant that reuses wooden spoons especially if patrons of the place would hold them in this mouths for an extended amount of time allowing their saliva to enter the wood then only cleaning them with a cloth towel Lolz. I can already see saliva oozing down the pipe in the profile pic above lol.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Ok, Swilling. I'll take a lot of shitty comments, but being called effete is NOT one of them. Of course I eat in restaurants; I use public toilets when the need arises. I understand germ theory just fine; apparently you're the one who does not. Unless you want some insults slung your way about your sissy-ass sanitizer, back off with the "effete" bullshit. We're just trying to have a civil conversation here. Everyone respected your objections to ill usage of religious language, especially myself. Please keep that in mind.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
This is really less of an issue than you think. Briar is incredibly dense and just doesn't absorb "gunk" to great degree; further, cleaning estate pipes and sanitizing them is a pretty simple process returning solid results.
Whenever the OP's question arises the folks who say, "No," to estate pipes seem to divide into to camps: Camp Creepy and Camp Gross. Since those are both personal determinations no one else should try to convince the believer otherwise. Frankly, I wish more of you would take on one of these perspectives to drive the prices of estates down, and the availability of hard to find shapes/makes up.
More than 2/3 of my pipes were estates when they came to me. All of my pipes, tobacco and shop equipment has been funded by the purchase, refurb and resale of estate pipes.
So, nope, I do not find smoking an estate pipe weird at all.
-- Pat
Pat!!! Good to see ya!

piffyr

Apr 24, 2015
@hakchuma: I wouldn't want to eat at that restaurant either, but proper cleaning of kitchen cutlery and estate pipes involves more than just a cloth towel.

Status
Not open for further replies.