PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
I'm sitting here, post smoke, pre dinner, and listening to some jazz LP's on my modest stereo system. Are there any other vinyl lovers out there, or audiophiles in general? It seems like pipes and good music go hand in hand.
I don't smoke indoors… yet, but maybe someday, if I become convinced that a decent air purification system will work to prevent having my smoking room, or worse, the whole house smelling like smoke. I'm also a little worried about the effects of smoke on the stereo system too.
Anyway, after smoking outdoors this afternoon while watching the sunset, I came in and started off with Oscar Peterson's We get Requests, and now I'm listening to some Lionel Hampton. I listen to a wide variety of music, that is pretty eclectic. I'm mostly into what many call classic rock, but I love the blues, bluegrass, jazz and some classical from time to time too.
So let's see if there are any others out there...

canadianbacon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 7, 2013
Don't worry about smoke on electronics as long as there is conformal coating on the circuit board. You can do this yourself with an aerosol can if it doesn't already have it factory applied.
Otherwise, yes, I do have an old cabinet style turn table. I don't get radio signals in my basement, so I play vinyl when I reload ammunition in my basement. It also hold my humidor and tobacco

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Don't worry about smoking around electronic equipment. All the new digital solid state stuff is airtight, that is it would work just fine in a vacuum, like in outer space.
In the olden days, DJ's often smoked in the radio station, and even in recording studios.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I have my turntable joined into my theater system for surround sound, and in the other corner sits a Rock-Ola from the 70's.

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
I love Lp's, I grew up Djing Drum and Bass, and then that turned into sampling...which entailed collecting records.
This past year I finally put together a nice high end vintage system...Not that expensive as most pieces are used. However my crown jewel is the plinth I built by hand for my Denon turntable. The new plinth weights in at 47Lbs of beautiful hand finished Baltic Birch Plywood.
09cc29c4f7a611e2925f22000aa81f8f_7.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I still buy a lot of vinyl from Elusive Disc. They have new pressings from half speed masters of all the older music and a lot of the current artists on vinyl as well...Good people to deal with...great turntable selection from a few hundred $$ to 10k...

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I used to listen to vinyl. Had about 1200 albums and 2-300 45's. Loaded them up about 4 years and hauled them to Arizona and traded them for a motor and trans for a 72 Charger I was building. Still have 40 or so in the closet,but nothing to play them on. Makes me want to buy a turntable.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
That was a good trade Ed! I'd guess you kept the 40 or so because you really like them. You can get an inexpensive USB turn table and convert your albums to CD's. I do/did that with many albums I want to listen to more than once or twice a year.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I do. I need to upgrade my turntable however. It is a 1959 Admiral Console. I recently picked(given to me) up about 40 old records.

Beatles (white album/revolver/sgt peppers)

Led Zep (Houses of the Holy/In through the out door/

Probably every James Taylor album

The Who

Chicago

lots of 60's 70's

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
That was a good trade Ed! I'd guess you kept the 40 or so because you really like them. You can get an inexpensive USB turn table and convert your albums to CD's. I do/did that with many albums I want to listen to more than once or twice a year.

Actually before I traded them off I did put a lot of them on CD. Bought a analog to digital convertor and a small pre-amp to hook the turntable to the computer. The convertor is setting on top of my computer collecting dust.

The computer I had then was a White box (ABS) with a Sound Blaster Audigy and a Creative 5.1 speaker system. Sounded better to me than my stereo system. Still have that computer,but it's on it's last leg.

The albums I kept are mainly rock and country from the 60's--early 70's.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have a goal to start collecting vinyl in the future, but I'm not there yet. I am, for lack of a better term, a music whore. I love everything from Pop to Jazz to Metal to Symphony.
Right now I collect FLAC file and am thrilled with the quality of sound. Heads and tails better the MP3. I've been curious about the difference in sound quaility between FLAC audio files and Vinyl. I know the "old school" train of thought is that nothing beats vinyl, and I am want to believe that. But when I listen to a album that is in FLAC format, the sounds quality blows my mind. And seeing as most modern music is recorded digitally to start with, I am tempted to believe that FLAC files are better.
Has anyone done a comparison? And I am talking new music, not digitally remasted albums.

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I have a modest collection also about 80 LPs or so and a dozen 45s. I really enjoy listening to it when I can, but my fiance and her daughter are constant blaring all of todays pop music... Oh well at least I have mornings to myself.

group4

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 16, 2011
Started re-buying LPs a few years ago, and finally got a decent set-up: Pro-Ject Carbon fiber tt, a Marantz PM6004 integrated amp and some old Advent speakers I've had for a few years. Still like recently=produced cd's but listening to records is a way different (fun) experience.

Jan 3, 2014
Nice thread. Yes I do still spin a 33 now & then but my daughters who were born in '96 and '99 think it is pretty Neanderthal.
Somewhere in the attic I still have the very first vinyl I went out and bought on my own, a 45. I remember the day I rode up to the mall on my banana seat Schwinn with my lawn mowing money in the summer of 1977(a whopping two bucks) and got Ted Nugent's "Cat Scratch Fever". I don't remember the "B" side. I was ten then. Before that my folks got me a Grassroots LP when I was 7 or 8 but I never dug them much.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I've got alot of lp's, 3 recycling boxes full, which are about one and a half milk crates each. I have 2 technique 1200's and a mixer, I used to dj. I love the sound of lp's especially for classical.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
What happened to our LP thread we had going? Moderators? you guys can always find the old threads. The original had lots of pictures I posted of exotic turntables.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I used to be a hardcore audiophile from about 1977 to 1999. Bought way too much equipment. Sold it all (except the vinyl) to move and buy a house, so now it's a very modest system. A friend gave me his old Thorens 126 turntable that he packed up 20 years ago when he went all digital. I refurbished it somewhat and bought a new belt and cartridge, and it sounds wonderful. I've got probably about 300 records yet and still enjoy listening to them. Love all styles of music, but lean mostly to classical, jazz and alternative. Too bad my hearing isn't as good as it used to be, but I still enjoy listening to what I have, and I buy an occasional used record from time to time.
img_00811-600x444.jpg

Nice turntables guys! I have an old Pioneer system and a retro antique turntable. I still buy vinyl when I get a chance to visit our local record shop, yeh there is still one that I know of in downtown Birmingham. I only have just under 600 albums, ranging from old Delta blues to Motown to jazz to rock to meal to classic old school country. (I've never been one to label myself by my music preferences)
I don't get as much time to spin the disks, but I think that tonight I may just have to turn some.
Thanks for sharing your tables, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.