PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Surface Warfare Officer for 10 years, forward deployed in Japan for most of the time. Here's my flight deck smash and crash crew, I'm all the way on the far left. And my avatar is the bow of my first ship smashing through the waves. Woo hoo! Rockin and a rollin!
free image upload

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
UDT 1960 to 64

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Retired Senior Chief Petty Officer, U.S. Coast Guard Jan. 1927 - Sept. 1993.
(Yes, the Coast Guard is a military service)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
. Found this picture , my Grandson had a Vets day at his school. Lower left my Son 82nd Airborne, Desert Storm, his sister which I unfortunately couldn't find a pic was a Crew Chief on a C-130 Gun ship, Soldier at parade rest my Uncle Fathers brother, fought from Africa to Germany, Salior climbing the tree and Half Picture my Mothers brother, 4 yrs at sea without seeing Family , fought in major Pacific battles, Btm right Mothers brother, hurt on landing ship at Inchong, Korean War , Swabbie on Gun is me just starting my Adventure.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
USN enlisted 1968-1972, boot and radioman A and C schools San Diego; USS Gallant MSO 489, Operation Market Time DMZ Vietnam, two lengthy patrols; trans-Pac return to homeport at Long Beach; changed to Journalist rating and reassigned Midway Island; Milwaukee Recruiting, two month early-out for grad school. (They were trying to downscale personnel.) Military not a natural fit for me. People who have known me for years don't know I'm a vet, and are incredulous when I inform them. I bore them with a few sea stories and they tentatively begin to believe. Some of that shipboard lingo you cannot invent nor learn from a book. Received a Navy Achievement Medal for my newspaper reporting, writing, and editing on Midway Island. My favorite quote, from the shipboard intercom, heard while having lunch on the mess decks: "Standby for heavy rolls." Yes and yes. After underway replenishment, the corpsman broke out little bottles of airline brandy (the sea was cold that day and we were soaked). I visited some of my non-drinking shipmates and had several more than my share. Likely not legal, but it was the combat zone. Thank you guys for all your service. I know some have paid some harsh dues. All respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.