PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2013
Ok, so I've mainly only tried the Pipe shop blends and have not really ventured outside of the realm of aromatics as of yet and was wondering if any of you more experienced pipe smokers would recommend an english blend or a less sweet aromatic blend that I could try. I would like to keep with the pipe shop blends if possible. The "good stuff" is still a bit expensive for me.
Also I'm smoking out of a Kaywoodie bent briar if that makes any difference. (Can't afford my Peterson yet.) :/
Thanks in advance for any responses and advice,

Seth

Aug 12, 2013
I'm hoping for hundreds. It's the tobacco's that get mentioned multiple times that I'll be looking at first. Thanks for your recommendation the description sounds like it'd be a nice enjoyable smoke.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Is the "good stuff" like a vintage tin, or like Frog Morton?
If you're looking for like cheap bulk blends over tins, I would try go look at the tins of Sutliff, they are cheaper. Try No.5, or try and catch some Dunhill 965 on sale in bulk. Maybe even consider the new PandC walnut match Chestnut.
If you're cool with "normal" tin prices I, and many other would say go grab at least Frog Morton or Frog Morton Cellar.
If you only have one pipe I would consider just buying a cob for the English blends. Your Kaywoodie would work fine, but if you decide you don't like them at least you wont have ghosted your only pipe.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
It's the tobacco's that get mentioned multiple times that I'll be looking at first.
You'll want to take a look at this list then:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-community-top-tobaccos-as-voted-by-you
Kudos, again, to Metalheadycigarguy for taking the time to put it together! :clap:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Aromatic- Mac Baren's Vanilla Cream Flake. IMHO the flake has more pronounced flavor in the tobacco and top dressing.
English/Aromatic- Sutliff's Kasimir. Just recently gave it a go and enjoyed it. Side note, I'm not typically a fan of Latakia I'd also add the rum "top dressing" isn't very noticeable in the smoke.
Virginia/Perique- Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake. It's an affordable great bulk tobacco. It is a bit heavier on the nicotine so make sure you only try it on a full stomach and with a chocolate snack on hand. Also, how you pack it will change how the blend tastes, so give a few different packing styles a go.
Virginia- Samuel Gawaith's Full Virginia Flake

Dunhill's Dunhill Flake
Virginia/Aromatic- Mac Baren's Modern Virginia. I was told it was blended to be a Virginia tasting blend that had a more pleasant room note, hence the light "fruit" top dressing.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Frog Morton on the Bayou (Or the original), GL PEASE Gaslight, SPC Mississippi River, SPC Plum Pudding, Orlik GS, Escudo Navy Deluxe, H&H Anniversary Cake, H&H Latakia Flake, H&H Old Dark Fired, Peter Heinrich Dark Strong, Cornell and Diehl Haunted Bookshop-Sunday Picnic. GL Pease Haddos Delight. Boswell's Northwoods.
These are some of my favorite - all in my rotation and all fairly priced. The "Good stuff" you speak of as being expensive doesn't exists. It is all opinions on here and these are mine based on my tastes.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
If you want to try an English without breaking the bank, I would suggest Newminster English Luxus (17) and Stokkebeye Proper English, both available in bulk. At $1.28 and $1.82 an ounce respectively (if you buy a pound) both are probably comparable in price to your Pipe Store Blends. I prefer the former (it seems stronger to me) but the later is quite good and seems to get a lot more respect. But then I have the palate of an army cook, so my free advice is probably not worth what you are paying for it.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Also, check out tobaccoreviews.com and sort by ratings - or any other factor you like. I'm working on the top 50 flakes from the site but giving priority to the recommendations of forum members.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
My local shitty 'tobacconist' has some bulk Balkan Supreme- a Stokkebeye blend if I remember right. That is about the only thing I would buy there if forced to it. You can buy little 1 oz samples of different bulk tobaccos at Smokingpipes.com, then your options will be much better. I think it would be worth it to buy 5 or 6 1 oz samples and spring for shipping. You might find that costs are similar to your local drugstore fare. The Stokkebeye line is awesome for beginners as you might gather from above comments

Aug 12, 2013
Well got my tin of G. L. Pease Quiet Nights on the way, should be here tomorrow, looking forward to trying that. Next paycheck I'm looking at The Mac Baren Vanilla Flake, the H&H Latakia Flake or the Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake. I did take a long look at tobaccoreviews.com and have kinda narrowed it down to some I think I'll like. Still taking recommendations for any other personal favorites though. I'd still be considered a novice even though I've smoked a pipe for 4 years I've only recently got serious about it.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
All of the above recommendations and opinions shared by my fellow members of The Briarhood, while well intentioned, are wrong. The only good tobacco is all the tobacco that I like, but I can't share here. Good question though! :wink:

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I smoked Dunhill Flake last night for the first time...fantastic stuff..I put a small review up if you navigate over to the baccy review sticky

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some milder English blends that I'd recommend to a new pipe smoker include Sutliff's Westminster, Altadis Fox and Hound (bulk),

C&D Epiphany, and C&D Stratfordshire. I'd always recommend Dunhill My Mixture 965. And if you want to spend just a little

more for a luxury introduction to English blends that you may always enjoy, Nat Sherman 536. There are so many good English

blends on the market right now, the list goes on and on, so you'll likely find many that are tasty and a few that taste as if they were

made just for you.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Still taking recommendations for any other personal favorites though
Did you check the link that I provided?
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-community-top-tobaccos-as-voted-by-you
There are over 40 great tobaccos listed on that one page ... all favorites of forum members.

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
Frog Morton is a good start to branch out from their are different tastes in the different blends and that will help you to see what blends you like

Status
Not open for further replies.