PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
Hey guys, there is nothing more relaxing than sitting around reading a book and smoking a pipe IMHO.

I'm working on the list of reads for next year and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.
So far I've got both Volumes of the Sherlock Holmes stories, The Hobbit and the LoTR Trilogy, The Harry Potter Books,

Edgar Allan Poe's detective stories of Dupin.
And tobacco wise my list of smokes for the year goes as follows:

Just For Him's Middle Earth Series

Cornell & Diehl Nutty Irishman

Tewksbury's Hobbits Weed

McClelland's 221b Series

Dunhill - EMP and Nightcap
Any suggested reads or smokes are appreciated.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
If you are American, and even if you are not, anything by Cormac McCarthy - arguably the best living US writer. He has a unique writing style; his books are mostly set on the border with Mexico. They are atmospheric and often violent. They stay with you long after you have finished.
IMHO "Red Meridian" is his masterpiece; I wish I could afford a first edition !! lol

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I will definitely check it out :) thanks for the suggestion. Does he have a series or are they stand alone books?

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@shayde, they are stand alone books, but he does have one trilogy which became very famous. It is called the 'Border Trilogy' which makes a great start with "All the Pretty Horses". One of his most recent, and accessible, books "No Country for Old Men" was made into a successful movie.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Daniel Silva - real page turners. the first three are stand-alones. I would suggest starting with his forth where Gabe Allon is introduced,

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I really enjoyed Rick Newcombe's "In Search of Pipe Dreams. It does mainly center on his acquisition of high end pipes but I found it highly entertaining. Lots of good tips and nuggets in there too.
Which of the tobacco did you enjoy? Then we could help with some suggestions.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
+1 on McCarthy. Just read The Road. It was scary and depressing and one of the best books I've read in a long time.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
Cormac McCarthy's books are outstanding but sometimes for a uneducated bum like myself I find his artistic prose and profound piercing examination of the human condition a little to much. If you want a easier read western Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove series might be a good read.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Cormac books are great reads but they leave me very sad, Burkes books are also great reads, I fished with his Lawyer brother from New Iberia, we both had camps at Cypremort Point. Robert Crais is another good author, his last book about a service dog that was in Afganastan is damn good.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
If you like seafaring books IMO there are none better than Patrick O'Brian's series of 20 wonderful novels about naval life during the Napoleonic wars

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I like old, real life story, obscure books. This winter I have picked out a 1926 book, Our Trip Around The World * Benedict.

auslander

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2013
The story of Pi-Yann Martel

Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy (all of them)-Douglas Adams

Fierce Invalids home from hot climates - Tom Robbins

The adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain duh

A song of ice and fire books - George R.R Martin

Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance - Robert M Pirsig

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I second the recommendations for Cormac MacCarthy and James Lee Burke. A good place to start with MacCarthy is to read either The Road or Blood Meridian. Burke's Dave Robicheaux mysteries are really terrific--truly good novels that just happen to by mysteries set in New Orleans and Southern Louisiana.
I'd also recommend Laura Hillebrand's book, Unbroken, if you haven't read it yet. It is a non-fiction account of one of the most amazing WWII survival stories you will ever read.
Other books I've read that I think may have general appeal:
Ron Hansen, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (also a very good movie)

Ernest Hemingway's first collection of stories, In Our Time

Stephen Hunter, Dirty White Boys, an action/mystery novel

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
I liked Pale Horse Coming by Stephen Hunter. Have read most of his books. Seems to be a gun enthusiast of sorts.
If you want a long read, Have a look at the 2,400 page trilogy by John Jakes. It takes place before, during, and after the American Civil War. The titles are: North and South, Love and War, and Heaven and Hell.
North and South was made into a series for television.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
The Australian author Alan Moorhead, a combat journalist in the Second World War: African Trilogy, Desert,War and Eclipse. Cornelius Ryan's A Bridge Too Far is also very good. As is David Fraser's Knights Cross, a biography of Erwin Rommel.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
I second the Forum members who recommended the following:
James Lee Burke-the VERY BEST of the American mystery writers. His prose in simply unparalleled. Read the series from the beginning.
Robert Crais- His latest as the Old Cajun reminds us, "Suspect" is as good a page turner as there ever was or will be.
Daniel Silva- featuring Gabriel Allon, an Israeli agent who is also an art restorer. Foreign intrigue taken to new heights.
Lee Child-the Jack Reacher series. Good writing, better plots.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I recommend the good book. Try reading through all 66 books of the Bible.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
"A Walk in Thw Woods" by Bill Bryson and " American Sniper" the Autobiography of Chris Kyle are both fantastic reads.
As far as tobacco goes Frog Morton Cellar is a must try.

Status
Not open for further replies.