PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffeweisse

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2013
I enjoy a fine pipe smoke when reading as we'll. However, I noticed that the book list you posted is primarily fiction. Though I do not know how open you are to other book genres. If you like, I can recommend non-fiction books :puffy:

heffeweisse

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2013
I enjoy a fine pipe smoke when reading as we'll. However, I noticed that the book list you posted is primarily fiction. Though I do not know how open you are to other book genres. If you like, I can recommend non-fiction books :puffy:

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
If you enjoy adventure:
Adrift: Seventy-Six Days Lost at Sea

Callahan, Steven
Wintertide

Doxer, Debra
Life of Pi

Martel, Yann
Hell Around the Horn

Spilman, Rick
Zero Hour

Miller, Benjamin E.
Kon-Tiki

Heyerdahl, Thor
Rendezvous with Rama

Clarke, Arthur C.
If you enjoy drama:
Travels with Charlie: In Search of America

Steinbeck, John
Silas Marner

Eliot, George
A Tale of Two Cities

Dickens, Charles
The Lottery

Jackson, Shirley

mustanggt

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 6, 2012
Like spy stuff and the fight against terrorists you can't beat any book by Vince Flynn or Brad Thor keep you on the edge of your seat.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Our own politicalmonster, Erin McDowell has written a book called Dark Luminance. It is on Amazon and is a great sci fi read.

Aug 1, 2012
The Discworld series but Terry Pratchett. Comic fantasy that can't be beat. Just watch out you don't laugh while trying to smoke, it's not good for your clothing.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
If you like modern adventure, I'd suggest anything by Clive Cussler. His books are series books, but they can be read as stand alones the way they're written. I'd suggest the Fargo series or the Dirk Pitt series. Spartan Gold is the first in the Fargo series, and Pacific Vortex is the first in the Dirk Pitt series.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
This thread could go on for ages, and one could spend an eternity reading what has, and what will, and what could possibly be added if this thread did go on for ages. That being said:
C.S. Lewis' "Out of the Silent Planet" series.

-A three-book modern day (C.S. Lewis' modern day) retelling of Paradise Lost, on Mars.
We, the Drowned by Kirsten Jensen.

-Seafaring - WWI and WWII. Begins with the story of one Danish man by the last name of Madsen, and progresses to tell the story of one or more of his heirs.
The City of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers.

- A fun and imaginative story (now accompanied by a sequel), that is purely for the kid in you. Dinosaurs, potions, hypnosis-inducing symphonies, living books, and subterranean passageways teeming with homicidal "Bookhunters".

thedudeabides

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 6, 2013
My apologies if this one has already been listed, but The Alienist by Caleb Carr would make a great pipe-smoking read. The sequel (The Angel of Darkness) is also entertaining. Do not be put off by the name, as it is a work of historical fiction following the adventures of a late 19th century (or maybe early 20th century) psychiatrist (then known as "alienists") in New York City. A very atmospheric murder mystery written by an author with a keen eye for historical detail, it was one of my favorite books of the 1990s.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I love reading while smoking my pipe, and it really doesn't matter what it is for me: politics, sports, fantasy, classics. I'm reading Bram Stoker's Dracula for the first time. Before that I had just finished Tolkien's Return of the King.

chonkeyb1

Lurker
Oct 14, 2013
Best book ive read recently was the three day affair by kardos good quick read, you may also enjoy i just want my pants back.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Another compelling mystery that I can think of is The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child.

rault

Lurker
Oct 15, 2013
Here are some recommendations; I tried to mix it up as much as possible. Let me know if you need any more recommendations.
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Think of a heist film in a fantasy setting. The book is very well written and is a first in the Gentleman Bastards setting.
The Song of Ice and Fire series (the First book is titled Game of Thrones) By George RR Martin. The only series that has ever had me as hooked as Lord of The Rings.
Life by Keith Richards. A very interesting Autobiography by the Guitarist of the Rolling Stones.
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon A beautifully written story that you will not be able to put down.
In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson. A book about William E. Dodd the Ambassador for the USA in Germany during the Nazi Regime.

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
I do a lot of reading for work. For entertainment I have recently enjoyed an author named C.J. Box. His series about a Wyoming game warden named Joe Picket is excellent.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
+1 Mustang, too bad Vince passed, a young man.

+1 Pete... but Dirks are the best to me.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@instymp, the fist one I read was Arctic Drift from the Dirk Pitt series. At the time, I had no idea it was part of a series, I just bought it on a whim. I couldn't put it down! Since then, I've read all of the Pitt series, and quite a few of his others, including all of the Fargo series ( I think). Everything I've read of Cussler's has been fun, exciting, and hard to put down! I'm not reading one currently, but I should be!

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Pete, the last couple of his newest, co-authored with someone else ...to me aren't as good as what he wrote. Only my option. & he was/is one of my favorite. Bought all & love them.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Some of the best High Fantasy, because not only is the world excellent, but the prose is above anything else in the genre, is the King Killer Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss.
Book 1 is called The Name of the Wind.

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I am battling Moby Dick for the first time, myself. I would like to second the recommendations of Cormac McCarthy, Regis McCafferty and Pat O'Brien.
If you like crime fiction, definitely check out Ken Bruen. He has a number of stand alone books and two series: One set in Galway starring a PI named Jack Taylor and the other is set in London's Metropolitan Police starring DS Brant and DCI Roberts. I've read all of both series and they are fantastic. His writing style rattles off like a machine gun. Just be careful as you will probably get so carried away that you'll probably puff a hole in your pipe if you.
As a side note, some of the Jack Taylor books were made into a TV series for Irish television and you can find them on Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.