PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
I've been a pipe smoker off and on for about 13 years, and recently I was sent some snuff to try. I was actually very surprised that I fell in the love with the stuff. I also found that there seems to be a decent snuff following among pipe smokers. So I'm just curious if any of you fine gents take and enjoy snuff? If so, what do you like? Do you take it while enjoying a bowl? Any great combinations you've found? Currently, I've been enjoying Poschl's Red Bull.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Contact lenses and snuff are a no-go for, respectively, my eyes and nasal passages. I'm interested in snuff as a historical thing, and some of the 18th and 19th Century snuff boxes appear in art museums and go for thousands -- in precious metals, ivory, rare woods, all hand carved, etc. etc.

woopigpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2017
Arkansas
I expected to hate it and have a horrible experience. That’s why I was shocked to enjoy it so much. I’m a rabid retrohaler and won’t smoke a pipe or cigar without doing it. So really taking snuff reminds me of a retrohale. I think that’s why I love it.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I was a snuff taker for a few years, but no longer partake. I've exclusively returned to the the pipe, but was into it something heavy. I went through them all pretty much, with exception to a few. I think a was doing too much and caused myself an infection. I walked away and moved onto snus for a while before, again, returning to the pipe. My favorites were WoS IHT 22, F&T HDT, Toque Quit, Toque Spanish Gem, Old Mill Dreamcatcher, Old Mill Pure Dominicana, SWS Havana Toast, 41 Photo White Elephant, Kalish, NB Madras, Viking Thor's Hammer, McCrystals Clove, Toque SP Extra, Toque Bacon & Cheese, Toque Lime Toast, Toque Apricot, Dholakia Ganja, Dholakia White & Black, Dholakia Kamal, Fubar Willie Pete, and Hedges to name a few. I think my tippy top three were probably Wos IHT 22, Toque Spanish Gem, and NB Madras; but Thor's Hammer was a close runner up for top three. I mean I got into snuff at one point. I made my own snuff spoons and would sit and watch TV just shoveling it in. It's no wonder I ended up with an infection. I don't miss it though. I miss Ettan snus quite a bit though. The original portions were my go to.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I partake in snuff from time to time. I got really into it, and moved on. I am primarily a pipe smoker. I find that for brief stints, the snuff is fun. Oddly, it helps me sleep if I take a little just before bed. I never seem to stick with it, though.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I enjoy a pinch from time to time. I like the traditional scents like Wilson’s SP Best or Tom Buck. Toque makes some good stuff too. If I’m after some classic I like F&T old Paris. It take a bit of time to get used to it. It is enjoyable once your nose gets used to it, just like smoking. German snuffs like Poschl raspberry or Bernard’s Fichtenaddel (spruce) are staples.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
On occasion. Tried to get into it at the beginning of AD 2015, but sinus problems discouraged me. I still have my purchases and take some every now and then, especially when I there are smells around I can't stand.

Mar 1, 2014
It may sound odd to some, but the engineering and craftsmanship of the pipe itself is half the reason I have any interest in Tobacco at all.

There’s also an element of skill to smoking a pipe, and like a cup of hot coffee it forces you to sit down and enjoy something.

I’ve noticed over the course of several jobs that “coffee” to a lot of people means “take a break”, it’s the only time in the day that a busy person allows themselves to just sit, and often it can be intended as a communal activity.

I’m sure Pipes would have filled the same role in society in centuries past. I don’t see any reason they can’t be that in the future either (just as soon as overregulation becomes less popular, give it 50 years).

alan73

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2017
Wisconsin
Yes I’m trying a bunch of them . So far I don’t like Many of the flavored ones , I don’t get the flavors like chocolate or whatever. Ozona orange I kind of like , schmartzel franzel is more unadulterated .
To me it’s a quick and easy way to get a nicotine blast when time or location don’t permit a pipe. like being in an airplane or at my office . Never tried together, the bacon and egg or lime toast flavoring would ruin my wonderful pipe tobacco flavor .

sakoguy

Lurker
Mar 19, 2015
Tried snuff for a while it was ok I enjoyed some of the flavours but over all it was a bit of a hassle runny nose/ sneezing. Viking Blonde and Wilson's of Sharrow Aniseed Extra are probably my favorites. Swedish Snus is more my thing these days lots of nicotine and discreet enough to use while working, a word of warning though it's the first tobacco product I actually feel a physical addiction to I think because you get the nic hit almost instantly.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I take snuff occasionally. My favorites are McChrystals “Original and Genuine,” Toque “Toast and Marmalade” “St. Clement” and “Absinthe” and Dholokia “Medicated”. I don’t use much, but find it great for at work when I need a little pick-me-up, and as an “unstuffer” when allergens or sickness get me blocked up.

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
I had taken some snuff from time to time. Got some mcChrystal Original from a friend whose back from UK last January. Also some Viking and Samuel Gawith. It's fun to try and the nicotine rush is moderate. I tried some snus and chewing too. Just out of curiosity. For your information, my snuff was held by Indonesian custom (Again). They not really helpful at all.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
For me, like others above, it’s “been there, done that.” I did it years ago in college, but my first vise since early teens was chewing tobacco. Thankfully, I gave that up too.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Occasionally, when I can't smoke the pipe, e.g. if I want to watch the TV in the sitting room. Nasal snuff only - "Hedges" or the old "F&T" blends. Snuff has never been a habit, just an "any port in a storm" substitute for the pipe.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Yes occasionally if I don't have time for a pipe I will.
Favorites are Ozona President, Mac Craig Royal, Radford Premium, Gawith Apricot, Kloster Andechs Spezial Snuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.