Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
John, go visit "Old Town". There is a great shop there, Racine & Laramie, which is very cool with lots of pipes and cigars. They have some cool old fashioned decor too. Plus, Old Town itself is awesome., There are all kinds of shops and restaurants.
If you like Mexican food, you are in for a treat too. There are a few Mexican places there, but there is a super good one that is kind of near the end of a street on a corner. I think it is close to Racine & Laramie.
racine-laramie-01.jpg

racine-laramie-02.jpg

The Hotel Del Coronado is a cool place to check out. It has a great history and is an historic place.
hotel-del-coronado.jpg

If you like wine, check out Orfilia Vineyards.
orfilia-vineyards.jpg

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I love Old Town San Diego.

When I was younger, I got a News Paper reprint from a hundred years before the day I was born.

And, one of my great all time memories is associated with Old Town.

My Dad and I would ride into Old Town to get "fresh" tortillas from the Tamale Factory.

Mom would make tacos and enchiladas every Wednesday... Dad and I would have a pepper eating contest before dinner.

(First to finish 6 fresh jallapenos, and they had to be completely chewed.) (I was in the third grade, Dad was a Drill Instructor at the Marine Corp Recruit Depot, San Diego.) (I let him win... once in a while. :D )

Winner would get the first tacos off of the stove.... Dem were da good ol' days.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I visited Racine & Laramie a few months back, great shop. I was in the area for the National Homebrew Conference and didn't bring a pipe with me. I picked up a MM Pride, pipe nail and a packet of Carter Hall to have something to smoke for the week. They let me fill up with a bowl of one of their house blends and I spent a good hour in their back room smoking and chatting with the guy working the cigar counter and another patron who was smoking a lovely meerschaum.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Don't know if Captain Hunts is still located on the waterfront but if it is, give it a shot. Visited there some years ago and it was a very nice small tobacconist shoppe with some really great W O Larsen high grade pipes and some tasty tobaccos from Esoterica.

Doc

loborx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 20, 2011
In North SD, I believe there is Liberty Tobacco which has a pretty respectable pipes and tobacco layout. I own three Racine & Laramie pipes, so yeah, it's a must-see. The whole Old Town area is fun. The Whaley House sits near Old Town and is supposed to be "the most haunted house in America". Check out Balboa Park also. Lot's of green space, exhibit halls, the zoo, outdoor theater organ concerts. Very awesome model railroad museum. I may need to shoot down SD way again myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.