Any gun guys out there that can help me?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
First off, I know this isnt a firearm forum, so if Kevin or the mods find this to be irrelevant and need to remove this post , I totally understand.
I just want anyone who knows anything about sks rifles, I figured I may as well try here too.
I just bought an sks in very good shape, one of my friends, whose father was a class 3 gunsmith, told me I had something cool. He told me it was an original russian made jungle carbine for the chinese army. It has a bakelite stock, not wood, it has a blackened blade bayonet, a russian arsenal stamp, chinese type 56 markings and appears to be made by norinco.
He told me it is fairly rare, but he wasnt positive.
Anyone have any clues? I can put pictures up if you really need them, but tell me what you need pictures off.
Thanks
John

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
As a person who has sold many SKS's what you describe is a fake. It would have soviet or Chinese markings NOT both. Buy the gun not the story.

bigmick

Might Stick Around
Nov 1, 2012
I agree with htmn246. I've seen a lot of SKSs and never seen an original with a plastic/bakelite stock. Also Norinco is the Chinese army arms manufacturer so if it's marked norinco it's NOT Russian made. Lots of Chinese SKS in the US. More in Canada. True Russian made guns are more rare in the US. Either way SKS is a great gun.

radio807

Can't Leave
Nov 26, 2011
New Jersey
Here's another link that may be useful to you: http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html.
My son has an SKS. It shoots very well. Good luck with yours.

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I concur with the other opinions. It sounds like it might be a parts gun. China-made rifles are the only known bakelite stocked rifles. What are the Russian marks? It will likely be a good shooter. SKS rifles are a lot of fun and still relatively cheap to feed. They weren't designed to be a "jungle" weapon and represent an interesting develpoment in Soviet military design history.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I don't think it is that rare probably as the other guys have said, based on the stock and the inconsistent markings, but the sks is a great gun. I own one and it is one of the best most accurate shooting rifles I have. I have removed my wood stock and outfitted it with a tapco synthetic stock, shell deflector, and scope mounts. I even killed two deer with it last year at about 100 yards. It is great for plinking and just generally fun so enjoy it.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Also here are some sites I use when accessorizing or looking at options for the sks.
http://www.thecountryshed.com/sks_accessories.htm
http://www.botachtactical.com/ this site is awesome for gun accessories especially magazines for pistol or rifle.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I used to own a Chinese SKS and did the same as shaintiques. My stock was collapsible and I had a scope on it. Very accurate and a lot of fun. Too bad it only held ten rounds. The stripper clips were a pain to load the rifle with.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
It has to be a parts rifle... Its either going to have Russian markings or Chinese... but not both. And if its made my Norinco its a chinese rifle not a Russian made rifle for the Chinese.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
The markings are on the reciever, all stamped next to each other. I dont think it is a parts gun, it has all matching serial numbers, including the bolt parts. I didnt buy the gun on the story either lol, I bought the gun because the chinese have chrome lined barrels and this particular specimen is in excellent shape, almost brand new. The story came later.
The russian mark is an arsenal mark. I think. Thats what my buddy said. I dont care whether its rare, or unique or anything, I only paid 300 for it, and its in fantastic shape, there isnt even hardly any carbon build up on the piston.
If anyone wants pictures of the markings I can post them.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Yeah, pics of the stamping would be helpful. You may have a Sino-Soviet SKS or you may have a copy of one. There were a few Chinese SKS rifles made with Russian parts and may have Russian and Chinese stamping. It sounds like the original stock was taken away, because these had wood stocks and you could use the numbers on them to match them to the receiver markings. The fact that the stock is bakelite leads me to believe it could be a copy, but I can't say that 100%
The SKS is a good weapon. I used to have one and it shot more accurately than my AK, whish shoots pretty good for an AK. With the SKS I could shoot 2" groups at about 150m from the prone and I'm not a great rifleman.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
Ok, I am on my way to work now, I will try and post them later tonight or tomorrow morning before noon. Check back again. Like I said, I dont care if its special again, its in real good condition so thats enough for me, I just want to know its history.

Status
Not open for further replies.