PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2018
Think of something to save the money for...
Otherwise, I think enacting a change in your life or lifestyle, anywhere, helps enforce the idea that you are in control (makes you less impulsive).
If you can think of anything you've wanted to try to do different, maybe now is a good time.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Self control can often be in short supply for me, I suffer from intense episodes of bipolar mania. Pipes and pipe accessories happen to be my only real hobby that I spend money on at the moment. I feel slightly more grounded having fellow pipe smokers telling me to chill out and save some money, though. I appreciate all of you fine folks weighing in on this.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
banjo I’ve been turning my eye towards tobacco lately, and I see a LOT of G.L. Pease blends that look outstanding. Looking forward to enjoying some blends and getting to know the pipes that I have.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
This is a terrible affliction that we all have. Only a few of us will claim to be immune. If you need some relief, I'd recommend just staying off the pipe seller sites for awhile. That of course will be tough, because I assume you're wisely going there to make your tobacco purchases while you still can. Good luck.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Happened to me this week also mtwaller. I was browsing SP's web site and saw this wonderful pipe and nearly on auto pilot I had put it into the cart and paid for it!
A bit disappointed with myself for lack of control and further disappointment followed when I looked at my statistics page which showed the graph of my purchases at SP and the curve upwards has greatly accelerated this year :(
Although I am really looking forward to receiving my new pipe I think I need to stop browsing SP (I follow both the US and European sites and buy from both), ebay etc as the only way to stop anymore purchases. I used to try and justify new purchases by telling myself I would sell off some pipes but after selling a few and regretting that, selling in not an option either......

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
anthony416 I know exactly what you mean. I’m also guilty of browsing European sites and eBay a lot. From now on I’m going to try and stop myself, only looking at tobacco for the immediate future.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I think the key for me is (a) never making fast purchases, and (b) keeping my eye on curating a small collection of great smokers instead of a large collection.
I own more pipes than I smoke, and I suspect that even if I had a collection in the triple digits, I'd still primarily smoke my 5-10 favorites. These days, I have several knock-around pipes and about ten 'good' pipes. I'd still like to buy a new pipe every day, but when I take a step back and think about it, I realize how silly it is.
Smokingpipes' wishlist is a fantastic tool to curb PAD. If you see something, pop it in there, and wait a week. If somebody else buys it, it wasn't meant to be. If it's still there after a week, assess again whether you still want it more than you want anything else you could have bought with your money.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
In AA they talk about "reaching rock bottom".
In regard to PAD, I talk about "reaching Boat".
- Yep Boat -
Why? If you look at your pipes one day and realize that you could have bought a boat with the money spent, then you will know there is a problem.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
It is a question of discipline but we wont get into that here. Just figure out how much you want to save each week then prioritise your spending. Sooner or later you will reach a point where buying a new pipe will not even be a consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.