PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I literally just bought a pipe maybe a week ago, and I told myself I was done for a while. I’ve been buying a pipe every other week lately, and I’ve not even built up cake in any of them yet. I’ve only smoked my last purchase maybe 5 times. Today, while browsing smokingpipes, I saw another Peterson that I couldn’t pass up. Without even thinking or looking at my bank account I just went for it. I seriously don’t need another pipe.. like I’m almost disgusted with my impulsiveness regarding buying pipes.
Has anyone afflicted such as I am managed to curb this reckless behavior? Maybe I should just stop going on pipe websites? Any mental tricks, meditative exercises, electroshock therapy success stories, etc. would be appreciated.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
I am likewise afflicted, with no signs of recovery on the horizon. Sometimes the PAD will wane for a spell, only to wax again...

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
workman I do truly enjoy and dedicate all of my focus to the experience when I’m smoking my pipes, it’s not like they just sit around as trinkets. I guess I don’t get the opportunity to smoke more than about 4-5 bowls per week, though. I think maybe I should focus on trying to find more blends that I enjoy smoking. I have 12 or so jarred right now but I only love a few of them. Maybe TAD will be a cheaper route.

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
You could always use my solution - be broke and not be able to afford any more...

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Sometimes it helps to put a pipe (or blend) in a cart (or watchlist as the case may be) and just let it sit for several days until the irrational sense of need dissipates. Or remind yourself, in a kind of mantra, how many pipes you've got, and how maybe you could afford a really nice one if you just held off for a few months.

Rates of success may vary.

Reactions: buck17

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I went through a period of hunting, refurbing and reselling on Ebay. It let me submerse in piping without acquiring new ones. I don’t think I kept a single one. And facing the challenges really taught me a lot. But after a year or so I started getting tired of investing the effort when most of the time people wouldn’t pay much for it. Never bought a huge estate lot, and that’s what I should have done. But it was a reasonably effective therapy for a long while. Now I just don’t consider anything unless it’s really something I don’t have or something that seems unique to me. But then again, I refrained for probably a year and then bought 3 over the last two months. So what do I know? I do one more thing though. I won’t allow myself to own more than X number of pipes, I’m under right now for reselling ones that I don’t like quite enough. If I really need 1 more than X, then I have to sacrifice one of my existing pipes. Overall that has served to continually upgrade the overall collection rather than accumulate a huge number.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Good suggestions, all. I have limited space for pipes, I told myself I won’t buy more than I can fit on top of my wall mounted cellar/rack thing. I do have 2 non Pete’s that I never smoke, I think it might be a good idea to try and offload those and I’ll feel like less of a glutton.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yup, I'd rather have a few good smoking pipes, that I know the ups and downs of, than many different pipes, that I dont understand as well.
Lately I have been narrowing down my search for pipes, and plan on getting rid of 90% of them.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Consider how many is really reasonable and why. To get an outside perspective I asked my wife. She threw me a higher number than I had in mind and said, “Do you really work so hard so you can’t have the things you really want? People collect all kinds of things. There’s nothing wrong with collecting pipes.”

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Also just to clarify, including the new purchase, if I get rid of the 2 I never smoke that’ll leave me with 8 pipes. Not exactly a hoard. Still, probably about the upper limit of what I need.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
alexnc it’s good to have that kind of support! I’m lucky in that regard as well. My girlfriend thinks my pipes are cool to look at, so she’s not beating me up about it when I add one to the collection. Maybe that’s part of my problem... she’s an enabler!

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Mine said 30, and I don’t smoke but on the weekends plus an occasional early Monday morning. So 30 is the limit. I probably need 2. There’s not many things we really do logically rather than emotionally.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
After nearly thirty years I've finally lost interest. My Rubik's puzzle collecting has kicked back up again though. I may get a few more for my wife if she wants them, but after recently throwing out several pipes, my collection is where I want it to be.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Embers I applaud you for banishing the fell beast back from whence if came. Also kudos on the Rubik’s cubes. I was just thinking today that I want to pick that back up. I enjoyed solving the standard 3x3 some years ago. Your comment makes me want to pick up a 4x4 and experience the immensely joyous frustration once more.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Find something else to focus on. I promised back in February that I wouldn't buy any pipes or tobacco till I had finished purchasing everything I need to begin a project I've been thinking about since January. All those wonderful pipes and wanna-try blends have been sitting in a whish list somewhere for the last 3 months.
Sux not being able to buy tobacco what with the gov't clamping down on it and the need to cellar, but I promised. If a man's word's no good, neither is he.

Status
Not open for further replies.