PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In my situation, with scores of pipes, and only smoking one or two bowls a day, with days off, I find it helps, when smitten, to review the pipes I have that already fill the niche of the coveted pipe. Also mere storage and rack space. Also, the way well-smoked pipes I already have smoke better, because they are broken in and because i have learned to smoke them. And many pipes are gift pipes that have the added pleasure of that association. I'm currently resisting a great sale on pipes, and particular pipes that catch my eye. Sometimes when I pick out a pipe off my rack, I realize I haven't smoked it in weeks or months. All this helps. I have had to skip pipe shows and other pipe shopping opportunities. Pipes are a wonderful experience to purchase or receive as gifts, but mere accumulation itself isn't a joy. So I try to "shop at home" in my own pipe shop. When does an enjoyable hobby become a bad habit, I ask myself.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Wise words! I’m going to focus more on loving the pipes I have and finding a few desert island tobaccos to cellar rather than buying up pipes.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Wise words! I’m going to focus more on loving the pipes I have and finding a few desert island tobaccos to cellar rather than buying up pipes.

Good luck! :puffpipe:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you have a good line of resistances, if or when you cave, it should be for a really good reason.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Just picked up three gear puzzles from Calvin's. My PAD has been officially replaced by PAD. :rofl:

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I'm where Embers is at. After similarly buying pipes for decades, I have essentially all the pipes I want, which is fortunate given limited finances. For most of us, if you buy pipes over a lengthy period of time, PAD diminishes greatly to the point of near extinction.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Tom is way too logical, & he's making me feel a little guilty. *Just* a little, though. Not enough to make me stop drooling over some 2018 Sav St. Nicholases. And yes,I admit it, in front of God, the bishop, & everybody:
I'm bidding on a 2017 blasted Christmas...
Peterson, that pipestud has up.
Yeah, you read right. Peterson. Me. Seriously. :)
Bill

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I like the contrast of the white stem on those.
s-l400.jpg

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Definitely a good look, yeah. I think Petes have just not been distinctive enough to grab me. This one, yeah, I can work with that. It it's special, I like *special*. :)
B

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Haha Embers I see what you did there with the PAD.. clever! Those Christmas 2017 pipes look nice, I’m oddly fond of the 2018’s as well. Something about the brass band with the sandblasted finish is so warm and inviting.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Appreciate and smoke the pipes you own. Start saving money to spend only on those pipes to deem a "unicorn" pipe.
(by the way, welcome to the PAD club)

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Dude-

I see people come and go on this forum every month. To some it’s just a hobby that they lose interest in and move on to the next thing. Unfortunately for me this hasn’t happened. I’m up to around 105 pipes. Although I’ve slowed down my pipe and tobacco buying, I’m still buying!

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
In thirty years time I amassed 180 pipes and 340+ pounds of tobacco. Lost interest in acquiring more of either, threw out 3/4 of the pipes, and now I'm set until I'm the fine white ash.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Thank God it's not just me. I was starting to get nervous. PAD...hmm...learn something new everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.