PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just curious if anyone else here likes to throw on some Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, or Nat King Cole while puffing on a pipe.
I enjoy many styles of music, but when I'm having a pipe I like to listen to them the most.

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I love all the crooners, I'm primarily a Bing fan, but lately I've been on a Dino kick. I've about ruined several of my old Dean Martin records from overplay recently.

~Ron

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Being this is the 2nd music related topic I am responding to today, the other was the metal thread. I have eclectic choices in music. From Metal to Big Band. Depends on the mood. But yes, I like the crooners too.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I listen to all three--they're in my iTunes along with lots of other jazz from their eras. If I had to rank the three, I like Nat best, then Dean, then Frank. My morning radio station always plays three in a row by Frank around 7:30.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Vorhees wrote:
Being this is the 2nd music related topic I am responding to today, the other was the metal thread. I have eclectic choices in music. From Metal to Big Band. Depends on the mood. But yes, I like the crooners too.
Agree with you there sir, on all accounts.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Dean and Nat yes. Frank no. Nat died at his peak, Dean retired from singing when his voice was still good. Ironically, they both died as a result of smoking (cigarettes). Frank could just barely stay on pitch when he was young, but as he got older it became pathetic. Same with Bing.

Aug 14, 2012
Love King Cole and like Dean Martin very much. Sinatra was best in the late 30s and early 40s. Just heard a recording of the Lester Young trio from 1943 or 44. Lester Young, King Cole and Buddy Rich. It really was good. Mr. Young (Pres) was the big star of that group and of the entire era, in my opinion. He never could understand why, during WWII Glenn Miller got to play music and he had to tote a rifle. Don't get me wrong Bradley, I love Glenn Miller too, but Lester young was in a class by himself. The uncredited originator of the cool sound and the greatest sound ever on a tenor sax.

tombraider

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2013
Best pipe music by far. I also have pandora set to the Sinatra channel on Sunday mornings while I make pancakes for my kids. It just sets up a relaxing day for me. I also love this guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1QNo8iP0ew

briarfanatic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 27, 2013
I have fond memories of my dad driving around on Saturdays and listening to an all Sinatra radio show on the AM stations as a kid.
This is my favorite Sinatra song:
http://youtu.be/avU2aarQUiU

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Love 'em all, but I think Bing Crosby deserves a spot on this list as well. He was on of the reasons I got into pipe smoking in the first place. I grew up listening to all these guys. My grandparents would play them whenever we came to visit as kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.