PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
They defined "cool" for a whole generation.

tombraider- if you're a Johnny Hartman fan then his album with John Coltrane is a must. Beautiful ballads with both at their best.

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
Yes I have very eclectic taste myself, metal to classical and just about everything in between. Quite fond of the "Chairman". Dad's a big fan and Frank and the "Big Bands" always played in our house while grownin' up.

Dan

Gabrieli Pipes :puffy:

lucky695

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2013
I grew up with my grandparents so, yes I loved those guys. Frank was great the way he delivered a song... but Dean was a much better singer. But Bobby Darin...that guy was amazing... died way too young. he could belt out a song. Don't forget Marty Robbins... man what a voice... and a life. I'm only 42, and a child of the 80s, but love those old crooners.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Bobby Darin is one of my all time favourite singers. Have you seen the "Beyond the Sea" movie with Kevin Spacey? The plot is convoluted but I think he did a great job of recreating the performance scenes. Great music to relax and have a drink to. Or dance with a lady if you're feeling especially classy!

Dec 24, 2012
I am a big Dean Martin fan. My mother was loved him so much she named me after him. Frank is Frank. I could listen to either Frank or Dean sing the telephone directory.

youngsterpuffer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 3, 2013
Frank is one of my favorite artists, to be honest. I was around my grandmother a lot when I was young and she always played Sinatra. I hadn't heard it for a while and one day my mom was watching the show where frank Sinatra has Elvis come sing in his military uniform, and I remembered how much I loved that music. Going to listen to some after work today and sit down with a good pipe

tanless1

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 14, 2010
Love Nat from the trio days. Sinatra would be my least favorite of all of them.

Im frustrated as billy joel has taken over my 40's channel.
Lets us not forget Dinah Shore...I could listen to her talk for hours,sings pretty good too.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Tombraider- that video rocked. I am out on the patio smoking some 4noggins Chipman Hill in my Edwards Bulldog as I happened upon your video. I just switched my Sirius channel from Octane to both the 40's channel and Siriusly Sinatra. Thanks for the perfect transition sir.
Cheers

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I am likewise a fan of Frank, Nat and Dean, and I would add Bing and many others from this Golden Era of music. I typically listen to SiriusXM 40s Channel or the Red Sox when relaxing on the porch with a pipe.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I too am a big fan of all of them.
Have quite a large collection of Dino's stuff on CD. Wish I had some originals on vinyl. The scratches and pops would add so much to the experience.
Timeless and old school.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Bing is fantastic. "Holiday Inn" is one of my favourite movies, but thanks to the blackface routine it isn't politically correct and hardly anybody ever wants to watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.