PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

titanicexplorer

Might Stick Around
Mar 23, 2011
As an increasing number of women have taken to cigar smoking in recent years- i'm curious if there are many women who smoke pipes. i'll be honest- i have never seen a woman in person smoke a pipe. I assume there must be female pipe smokers out there.

Perhaps it's a regional thing, all the pipe smokers I have seen in New England were men.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
We have several ladies that poop in off and on.
Umm...they do what?!? :rofl:
We do, actually, but I've not seen any of them posting in a while...as Jerry Lewis was fond of saying, HAY LADIEEEEEEES! Pipe Up!

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
My wife smokes a pipe. there's a few pictures of her doing so on my FB.

It's nice to share a puff-session with her and talk about the day.

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
I think there is a cultural and misogynist reason to the small presence of public female pipe smokers. With the dramatically diminishing number of pipe smokers, the pipe smoker has become the symbol of faith in the old ways, loyalty to principle, and undisputable wisdom. It is contrasting to the patriarchal picture of the woman as weak-willed, capricious, and "less faithful". While cigar smoking women are tolerated because it reflects the search for honor and respect, as some sociologists say, and therefore fits the picture of the modern, emancipated woman, pipe smoking is an absolute no-no for women because in defies unconsciously accepted conventions.
Nonetheless, there is a young and virtuous college girl (actually, she's older than me) who has a pipe vlog on Youtube. Her channel is LinksGirlFriend and she's studying somewhere in Ohio. I think it's worth a look!

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I think the guys on this forum should befriend every female smoker that registers to make certain they feel welcome. Too often, it can feel like a boys club in piping and it would be nice if we kept cheering them on. What do others feel like?

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
I think the guys on this forum should befriend every female smoker that registers to make certain they feel welcome. Too often, it can feel like a boys club in piping and it would be nice if we kept cheering them on. What do others feel like?
I agree. Perhaps we should go out of our way to make them feel welcome.

wolfscout

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2010
Newberry, SC
some of the threads and topics could be seen as definitely male, testosterone loaded replies.

Women don't care for that sort of discussion.

Perhaps a forum section just for the lady smokers? And the rules of participation is no comments in references to looks or sexuality?

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
Hmmm.alright well. I am a women pipe smoker on your forum. Yes, sometimes I do have to look the other way..But really everyone is very friendly here and I assume that most of the time no one realizes or knows I am a women. Which is fine because that's not what we are here to talk about. I did just join "women of the brair" but I haven't Had time yet to discover what they're about yet. I do look forward to it. My experience thus far here has been very nice and informative. Yes, its a male dominated hobby and I know I have to put up with a certain amount of pipe babes and man cave talk and its not really a big deal. But I do see were some women might feel a little uncomfortable or maybe unwelcome. Not due to anything anyone has done just the fact that a lot of post are directed to "my brother pipe smoker" (for example) but you fella's have been nothing short of kind and wonderful. So I skip the pipe babe page and enjoy the rest of what you have to offer. So thank you!

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
echopipe. It's good to have you here. I tend to try to keep my posts to something I wouldn't mind a fifteen year old daughter reading over my shoulder. That comes from spending a whole lot of time over on a blacksmith site that has very firm rules about language. And yes we have several ladies over there too.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
There are some female members here. There were a couple in the past that appear to have dropped off and Jessicac (sp?) was active recently. She may be gone due to Pipe Babes imbroglio or not. One good thing, is that this site is focused on pipes and tobacco primarily so if that interests you then you are in the right place. If you are looking for significant female membership, not so much. Welcome. Hope you hang around.

Status
Not open for further replies.