PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I was asking this question to myself yesterday, I usually read old threads whenever I have time and as MSO stated I realized that there were more active female members before. They are not around nowadays, I just wonder if it is our mistake that we made this forum some kind of a manly thing :)

smokinfireman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2015
Nope. Not a mistake at all. In a society that is castrating the male populace before they can even drive, it's kinda nice for a men o have their own thing.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Oh,god, are we gonna get another one of those "pipe smoking is manly" threads? Maybe combined with one of those "real men do thus and so" threads? :rofl:

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Of course not jud,we shall share a mature and frank exchange of ideas on the situational imposition of gender identity.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
1. I have physically been in the presence of women who smoke pipes.
2. One of the purposes of this forum is to discuss pipes and pipe tobacco and to provoke conversations on a myriad of other topics. We seek out the differing opinions of those in the world who have one defining trait - they are pipe smokers. Why should it matter what the gender makeup of a forum participant is as long as they are pipe smokers.
3. How do we really know if the poster is a male or female? Isn't the internet full of stories about people posing as something they are not just to get close to someone?

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
"Bruce Jenner smoked a pipe."
I started to post several flippant replies to this but I self edited before doing so.
Was it a tobacco pipe and did it contain tobacco?

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I'm not Caitlin Jenner but I smoke a pipe. I've just been lurking. Too lazy to log in but I finally did today.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hope women feel welcome on Forums. Sometimes things get a little rowdy, but I don't think that's exclusively a male thing. Always interested to hear what people have to say, women and men.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Yup still 'puffin away'. It's more fun now that I'm in the suburbs. I got one of those fire pits for pipe smoking entertainment. Good stuff. The pipe you gave me is still a workhorse too. Dedicated to EMP.

bcharles123

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
3. How do we really know if the poster is a male or female? Isn't the internet full of stories about people posing as something they are not just to get close to someone?
It's an interesting question. The very nature of "online" communication allows for a far greater degree of socialization then ever possible while providing a high degree of autonomy. It's paradoxical. In the balance, I think the pipe smoking hobby is obscure enough that it's a safe bet that people are honestly representing themselves. On the other hand, I can only imagine how much fun I would have had as a teenager tormenting a group of obscure hobbyists! Trolling a NASCAR forum is one thing but trolling the assymetric strummel designers group would have been genius!

I have met a very young boy that was sort of a genius of pipe makers, artists, and such. Not so much the tobacco side of the hobby, but he was a young savant of sorts. He was at the B&M with his father. But, he had said that he was involved with forums. Unfortunately the thread I had started about meeting this kid was closed. I wasn't PC enough.

Regardless, I am always weary of folks online, at least until I have met them in person. I don't assume that they are male or female or young or elderly... crazy or sane :puffy:

flaneuse

Lurker
Nov 12, 2015
Hi, everyone. I just joined, and I figured this would be a good place to introduce myself. I don't see many pipe smokers where I live, male or female. The tobacco shop in my area has a smoking lounge, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone smoking a pipe there, only cigars.

Status
Not open for further replies.