PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My wife likes her Missouri Merrschaum eggs, but is not a forum member. We have had female members from time to time, but our forum is less about gender, and more about our little obsession....errr hobby. Lots of info and lunacy around here, so stick around. Great group of folks.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
My wife has smoked along side of me for the last 30+ years. That's her with me in my avatar. She doesn't join in the forums with me because she mostly just likes smoking her pipes, and not reading about it. I share some of the stories or posts on here that I think she would like and that's about it. She pretty much sticks to her favorite Stanwells, Savinellis, and one Dunhill I got her. She smokes mostly latakia blends, with the occasional foray into some aro that tickles her fancy. I'm the one that has TAD and PAD issues, but she goes along with me most of the time.

She also likes to support new female smokers, but wants to say hi to ALL the folks here on the forums... :puffy:

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
My Wife(note capitalized, hehe) enjoys a pipe with me on occasion. She has 2 or three of her own in fact.

2mhzsjt.jpg

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
My wife is not a forum member but does enjoy smoking her pipe with me once in awhile. I enjoy time spent puffing with her as well. :puffy:

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Hey there,
I'm still around. Haven't been active of late as law school has taken up most of my time, so I'm not on as often.
But currently puffing away a latakia.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Hi Jessicac, I was wondering where you had gone...this is a very northern hemisphere hobby/forum, so glad to see you making an appearance again!
Isaac (nz)

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
Yeah, I never left, still browse although I was in the quiet corner.
And, Orley, I'll never forget. :) Still loving the pipe you guys gave.
Also putting up with the fact that our campus is a no smoking area, so I have to venture to the street. But I digress.
I'll be seeing you guys a lot more the next couple of months. :)

I see women smoking pipes occasionally in my area, but not all over the place.

Funny thing, a few years ago, I was asking Skip at The Briary if women ever come in and buy pipes or cigars. He started shaking his head emphatically, "No," while the other guy working behind the counter was behind him nodding, "yes." And, just as the conversation shifted in walked a lady asking about tobaccos, ha ha.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Funny thing, a few years ago, I was asking Skip at The Briary if women ever come in and buy pipes or cigars. He started shaking his head emphatically, "No," while the other guy working behind the counter was behind him nodding, "yes." And, just as the conversation shifted in walked a lady asking about tobaccos, ha ha.

:rofl:
I've always found these double sided no in front yes in the back stories to be hilarious.
The wife has tried once or twice but, until now, it's not really gotten into her.

She smoked the cigarette for a while.

Mentols, so you can imagine that even sweet fruity tobaccos might not find her in great dispositions.

briarlab

Lurker
Sep 3, 2015
The third cofounder of Briarlab, Sarah, smokes pipes and is serving as Michael Lindner's new apprentice, learning to carve.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My wife occasionally shows interest in my pipes and tobacco. (shes a cig smoker) I even purchased her some Altadis aromatic tobaccos, but those didn't go over as well as they sounded. She is starting to learn that she prefers the straight tobacco taste. I'm trying to find her a nice small pipe that would work for her.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Seems like there have been a number of females here over the three or four years I've been around. My approach to women and pipe smoking has not necessarily been to find ways to actively encourage, more to find ways not to discourage anybody from participating. I tend not to agree with the notion that HOBBY X is dying or suffering due to lack of participation by GROUP Y. Does pipe smoking NEED more women. No, not by the strict definition of the word. Are more women, hipsters, transgendered, etc. welcome? Sure, come on in, let's talk about pipes and tobacco and stuff.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Glad to have and read about all of the ladies. It is great when they take part.
I think it comes down to knowing they are a diminished number of a diminishing number.

How many guys do you see aside from your local B&M smoking a pipe in public. It is a rare occasion here in Oklahoma City. I got a kick out of seeing a guy walking across the parking lot at the local grocery several years ago, pipe in mouth and smoke billowing. At the time it hit me how rare the site had become.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
At a recent meeting of our pipe club, one of the guys brought a friend, of the female variety. This is part of the conversation:
Guys, we need to behave tonight, since we have woman in our midst.

Her: Don't worry, I work at a prison.

Someone else: That's why you look so familiar!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd guess there are, or have been, around ten women on Forums, although there could be more. They (you) always have interesting things to say and enhance perspective on most topics bringing in a different gender point of view. Thanks to all the women who participate; please keep your contributions coming. I think men often think of petite pipes as being what women would like, but I think women have about the same range of preferences as men -- vast.

shepaintz

Lurker
Jul 9, 2015
Thanks to all who replied to my post. Somehow I wasn't aware until just now when I checked in. I'll check in more often. The forum topics are really quite interesting! Smoking a little Nightcap in my Stanwell Silke brun 118. Laters.

OH, & Okiescout, there is a Tinder Box not too far from where I live that has a womens' group that meets there monthly.

Status
Not open for further replies.