Any Experience with Mykola the Ukranian Carver's Pipes? (SovietHouse)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
Hello again,

Bearing in mind that the majority of the community here are situated in the United States and that Ukraine isn't exactly on your doorstep, this may be a (long) shot in the dark but has anybody bought and smoked any of this highly skilled carver's pearwood pipes?

(direct link to pipe section, ignore thumbnail)

I have purchased a stand from him and absolutely love it, it puts my more expensive Hardcastle eight seater to shame and I wish I'd found him first but while his craftsmanship is not in question, I'm curious if his pipes are as functionally sound as they are stunning in appearance.

The prices are remarkably low and while that hasn't reflected any lack of quality in his stands, I would surely presume that making a great smoking pipe is not necessarily the same skill as making a beautiful looking pipe. It wouldn't be a lofty gambit to just take a chance but I'd be willing to spend a bit more if I were reassured it was more than a pretty face and reviews only focus on them being well received gifts.

They really are impressive to look at and no doubt to feel, I'm just deciding whether to go in for a penny or in for a pound, so to speak (adage butchered) as I need some function with my form.

Thanks as always.

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: anthonyrosenthal74

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ukrainian ... Soviet House? This gets a little sticky. But back to pipes, I think the pear wood might be a minor issue. It's easier to work, and evidently is more available to the carver, but I don't think it is as well suited to pipes as briar and some of the other common materials. If you are attracted to them, definitely give them a go. I wouldn't recommend your whole rotation be in pear wood. The common understanding, correct or not, is that briar will last a lot longer. I for one suspect it's true.

Reactions: David_Lawrence
Jan 8, 2013
I've had two of those pipes, and although they smoked quite well, the shanks split on the both of them. The stems are some sort of hard plastic, and not very comfortable. The metal adornment on the shank of many of them is just a brass ring, glued on, that came off easily on one of mine. They're pretty much mass produced, you can find them on Etsy, Ebay, Amazon, etc., and I doubt that it's just one carver that makes them. My advice would be to look elsewhere. If you must have a pearwood, I would suggest Mr Brog.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For a smoking tool at a low price, Missouri Meerschaum cobs are a good choice. I like the special edition cobs that come with an acrylic stem that is durable. They're about $24 plus shipping, or you can get other MM cob pipes for eight or twelve bucks. Visit their site direct from the sponsor list to the left of Forums.

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
But look how wholesome it all looks in this photograph ?

il_794xN.2015503863_j3ca.jpg

Ah I jest. What else is there to do?

Well that's why I'm here and that's why I'm glad you're there! Duly noted.

I would have settled for 'mediocre' for the pocket money pricetag but shanks that split and brass fittings that fall apart? Yes, that makes far more sense! And them being mass produced by any number of quick buck carvers...you'd never have guessed that I was born many yesterdays ago, would you?

Ah boy. Thanks, all. It's okay though, mso, I have enough budget and budget-stretching pipes to live happily ever after with (well not enough) so I'll be fine! I just saw this and got a thirst for snake oil:

il_794xN.1039846300_5d1j.jpg

And for the record, Ukraine wasn't high on my holiday list, much to the disappointment of their fine people, I'm sure.. there's got to be a couple, right?

Glad I asked. Cheers!

Jan 8, 2013
Glad I asked. Cheers!
Never hurts to ask. In fact it's always a good idea to ask, especially when new, concerning budget pipes, and concerning alternative woods. Pear wood is actually an acceptable alternative to briar, but it's not as durable as briar. Thicker walls to the bowl and shank are a must. It appears Mr. Brog takes that into account with pear wood.

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019

Rereading the end of my post, I really should clarify what I was saying there as it sounded like I was saying "there's got to be a couple of fine people in Ukraine, right?" which would be incredibly insulting. I was alluding to Ukrainians being disappointed that I wouldn't be flying over there any time soon.

Now that those lines are clear, feel free to read between them!

Nice collection of pipe makers in the links though.

Reactions: vates
Status
Not open for further replies.