PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Any fellow pipe smokers have dual citizenship?
I'm looking into some options for myself, and it's a little daunting. I'm sure every country is different, and the processes different themselves.
Anyone have any stories? Has having two citizenships changed your life in any way?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Yep. Italy & US. It’s nice to have a back door. Have lived in both countries and have served in militaries for both (US first), which was odd. Anyway, there are many advantages wrt travel restrictions. Yeah, it’s super cool and I would recommend you go for it as long as the country is some place you like to go.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
https://amp.theaustralian.com.au/news/inquirer/dual-citizenship-drama-constitutional-past-is-a-foreign-country/news-story/7d588e55b5ce30bbdd60ecdbc8f5af63
Don’t move to Australia and try to run for government.
I have family with dual citizenship. I’ve always thought it a serious issue, where do your allegiances lay? In the other country or the one you reside most of the time in. When you become a US citizen, your loyalty is expected to be with the US.
But there are many with dual citizenship, and it ain’t going away. In fact open boarders are the wave of the future.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I didn't know at the right time but, I could have been a Mountie. Good thing though, I'm too short to have looked good in the red tunic and jodhpurs. I can also qualify for Irish (Republic of) citizenship I believe.

Dec 24, 2012
Canada and Ireland here. I love it. I can (and have) work anywhere in the EU and can join the shorter customs lines at EU airports. Unless you plan on living in the US, i would avoid US citizenship as it is one of only a couple of countries in the world that taxes on the basis of citizenship rather than residence.

lifesizehobbit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Have an Italian birth certificate due to military father; but an FS240 Statement of US citizen born abroad. As an Army Veteran, I officially renounced any other citizenry at my oath of enlistment.
Never really wanted to be a citizen of another country, just wanted to live other places.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Bigpond, this is very interesting:
Yep. Italy & US. It’s nice to have a back door. Have lived in both countries and have served in militaries for both (US first), which was odd. Anyway, there are many advantages wrt travel restrictions. Yeah, it’s super cool and I would recommend you go for it as long as the country is some place you like to go.
I know a fellow who served in both the USN and the Royal Navy, and I know a couple of folks who served in the IDF after US prior service. But I don't know anyone who served US and Italy. What branches? How did they compare?

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
UK and US. I value my UK citizenship greatly because it also makes me an EU citizen. At least until I am stripped of those rights and privileges if/when it happens with Brexit.
I have no issue with "allegiance" to more than one country. Maybe if I were a US/Russian or North Korean citizen I'd feel more conflicted. Where I happened to be born is just a random circumstance of events.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
US citizen here but submitted documents for Austrian citizenship about 5 months ago.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
After my obstreperous ancestors pulled away in the Revolution and after the War of 1812, I don't think the English would take me back even as a dual-citizen. The rest of my lineage is too vague to claim. The Indian nations wouldn't have me with a gift card, so here I am.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I suppose that if you don't hold any allegiance to your native country, then having dual citizenship wouldn't present any conflicts.

Status
Not open for further replies.